Stupid Ideas!!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bugboy

Hearth Supporter
Mar 5, 2007
north-central Kansas
I was looking through some old posts and saw a question about a wood stove installation in a garage and everybody seemed to think that was a bad idea.

Years ago I worked in a shop where they built cabinets and counter-tops. They had 3 table saws, one large radial arm saw, one shaper, a glue booth and a paint booth. The owner thought he could save some money so he put an old piece of cr*^ woodstove and burned particle board scraps. No exhaust systems on any of the saws or glue booth (spraying contact cement to lay up formica countertops and laminate 4'X8' cabinet stock) and one little fan for the paint booth (all oil based paints).

We new it was pretty stupid, but we were young and figured it was his business if he wanted to burn the place down.

I was a cabinetmaker for awhile and the boss had a big, behemoth "thing" in the shop we burned slab (bark) wood in and scraps. It was round, about 36" to 48" in diameter. Had curved firebrick on the inside, about 4' to 5' tall with a blower on top that blew into the main area. We did finishing upstairs with water based finishes. Our custom counters used water based adhesive for the laminate. I never saw an issue with using it. It wasn't in the main part of the shop, just off to the side, so maybe that helped. He used a pretty good exhaust system for the saws, and other big equipment.

Yep - it one of those things that lots of people have stories about - and lots of people get away with. The trouble is dust and/or solvent explosions don't usually give a warning. You are nice and cozy warm then *BOOM*!

What I didn't realize is just how flammable sawdust is! I started building furniture a little over a year ago now, so I have quite a collection of dust. Most gets dumped in a compost pile, but I tried burning some in a campfire this summer and whoosh! It burns hot and fast! Once the top layer is charred, it needs to be stirred up to get it to reignite though. I can't imagine that happening in my wood shop.

Status
Not open for further replies.