stupid question about creosote and seasoning of wood

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

drdoct

Feeling the Heat
Hearth Supporter
Jan 24, 2008
Griffin, GA
There's no doubt about it, I'm going to be short of good wood this year. I've been working and getting next year's wood together. I've posted before about wood that's 2-3 years old that is apparently seasoned but still wet. Does creosote form because the fire temps are low, or because of burning green wood. Would I be ok burning this wet (35%) seasoned wood as long as I do it hotly? I just need to stretch my good stuff a little further. I don't want a bunch of creosote though. So I guess the question is.... Does creosote come from burning green wood or wet wood? And is it ok to mix a little wet wood in with my good dry stuff as long as it's seasoned?

Creosote isn't a problem when you're burning hot so if you could mix That 3YO wood and burn hot that is one solution. Then again it could most likely surface wet and will quickly dry out once you get it under cover or by the stove. Anything split for 3 years has to be seasoned imo and surface wet in no show stopper.

I'm ashamed to admit that I always burn wet wood along with my seasoned. I just can't get ahead with my wood. I get nice hot bed established and burn the newer stuff. Most of my wood has been sitting in rounds for about two years, but recently split. Case in point, i just threw in some wood that I split 2 weeks ago. I cleaned my chimney on Thursday and it was essentially spotless. I don't recommend this to anyone, but I inspect and clean my own chimney frequently, and I burn very hot. It can be done. I save my good wood for starting out and overnight. I used to be ahead, but I supply my 80 year old dad with wood, and I feel better giving him the better wood. I've already split and stacked 10 cords for this year, and I'm still behind. It is amazing how much wood a retired guy (my dad), hell bent on using no oil, can go through.

drdoct said:
There's no doubt about it, I'm going to be short of good wood this year. I've been working and getting next year's wood together. I've posted before about wood that's 2-3 years old that is apparently seasoned but still wet. Does creosote form because the fire temps are low, or because of burning green wood. Would I be ok burning this wet (35%) seasoned wood as long as I do it hotly? I just need to stretch my good stuff a little further. I don't want a bunch of creosote though. So I guess the question is.... Does creosote come from burning green wood or wet wood? And is it ok to mix a little wet wood in with my good dry stuff as long as it's seasoned?

Creosote forms when temps are low and green/wet wood causes low temps.

Split small and put a fan on it in your woodshed. You'll be alright.

Status
Not open for further replies.