stupid question for all of you that stack Holtz style

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

iceman

Minister of Fire
Nov 18, 2006
Springfield Ma (western mass)
how do you take wood off the holtz to burn ... where do you start..do you go around??? and what about the junk pieces in the middle?

and how do you figure out how many cords it is?

i know it was more than one question

I dont now much about the holz and I dont now how to answer your question I do now that Im not getting it from the bottom The peaces in he middle are differnt sizes mostly bigger then the ones on the out side.
have a good holiday

I take the wood off the same way I'd take it off any other pile.

To calculate the # cords:

[This is wrong -- see below]

3 * Pi * (radius squared) * height. So, for example if your Holz is 8 feet wide, and 7 feet high:

3 * 3.14 * 4**2 * 7 = 1055 cubic feet

1055 cubic feet / (128 Cubic feet/cord) = 8.2 cords.

WarmGuy,

You just introduced some new space-age math...

The volume of a Holzhausen (essentially, a cylinder) is = PI * (radius squared) * height.

You chose to multiply the actual volume times 3, for whatever reason.
I wish you were correct and it worked this way, then I could get 3 cords of Holzhausen stack from every single cord actual wood, but it ain't so easy!......

Cheers!

Nope- it's just pi*(radius squared) * height

For 8 feet across and 7' high- that's 3.14*(4^2)*7/128= 2.75 cord

Sorry Al- I don't know where you got the 3

One cord is a stack a bit over 5' wide and 6' tall.

ok don't get it ........lets say i go 6 ft in dia by 7 tall how many is that?
i have a 10x 12 area and a 8x12 trying to get the max way to stack

6ft diameter, 7ft height

6 ft in dia means 3 ft radius
pi * (3*3) * 7 = 198 cubic ft

one cord is 128 cu ft, so you would have 198/128 = 1.55 cords

[quote author="IK" date="1211512844"]6ft diameter, 7ft height

6 ft in dia means 3 ft radius
pi * (3*3) * 7 = 198 cubic ft

one cord is 128 cu ft, so you would have 198/128 = 1.55 cords[/quotet]

so if i did a 10ft dia by 7ft it would be 4.3 cords?
seems if i did 10x6x12 =5.6 cords?
hmmmm looks nice but doesn't seem to be as good as i thought

but does promote better airflow

If you stack it just right it will partially collapse just about the time you need to bring some wood in.

Or if you stack it just right it will collapse about the time you finish. 3 hours later after the collapse it is done, 8 ft diameter and 7 feet high, works for me and I have a lot of space left to stack some rows. It was a bit frustrating to have it collapse, but be sure to keep your edges straight, I failed to pay attention to that, otherwise it seems pretty solid, we'll see after some drying.

I've only done 2- both 6' across and about 5.5-6' high, and I had no issues with collapse. Keep up with leveling layers and look at the shape of the piece before you place it. I just started taking pieces off the top.

They don't look nearly as sexy when they're half gone

I unstack in reverse order. Or am I missing something here?

adrpga498 said:
I unstack in reverse order. Or am I missing something here?

thats what i thought but some of them get kinda high

Agreed. They should sober up first before getting on the ladder. %-P

iceman said:
how do you take wood off the holtz to burn ... where do you start..do you go around??? and what about the junk pieces in the middle?

and how do you figure out how many cords it is? ...

iceman,
If I understand correctly a "true" Holtzhausen is up to 8' tall and is meant for drying the wood. Supposedly you should re-stack the wood when it's seasoned. That seems impractical given the value of the average person's time.

My guess is that it makes sense to build it short enough that once it had shrunk from drying that you can easily reach the top. Unfortunately, that ruins the "shingled" effect that directs the water off of the pile. If I were to attempt a Holtz I would use the center pole used to mark when the wood has shrunk enough to suggest it is well seasoned. When I started taking the wood off of it I would use the pole to drape a tarp.

~Cath

You guys ever play Jenga??? :)

Jay

Cath said:
...That seems impractical given the value of the average person's time...

What is the value of the average person's time? What's the average person? :-S Rick

I like cords.

Status
Not open for further replies.