Subaru Impreza Loaded with Apple

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Toasty-Yote

Dec 13, 2022
New York
Visited my dad this weekend and took down a small dead standing apple. There are dozens of these in his front wood lot. My stack is getting smaller as winter wears on so this will help. Doesn't look like all that much but that stuff is dense. I would say at least 200-300 lbs? Enough that the car is riding a little low in back.

Screen Shot 2023-02-19 at 22.29.46.png

Apple is a beautiful wood and will burn hot. Poor Sub though, they are not meant for that kind of hauling.

Reactions: wetwood4life
I got a load of apple once. Good firewood.

Visited my dad this weekend and took down a small dead standing apple. There are dozens of these in his front wood lot. My stack is getting smaller as winter wears on so this will help. Doesn't look like all that much but that stuff is dense. I would say at least 200-300 lbs? Enough that the car is riding a little low in back.

View attachment 309994
I'll trade you an equal amount of 3 year old oak for that apple! That is perfect wood for the smoker!

I'll trade you an equal amount of 3 year old oak for that apple! That is perfect wood for the smoker!
i was just about to type the same words! I L❤️VE apple wood (and hickory) for the smoker and those smaller rounds are PERFECT👌🏼

Might be time to sharpen that chain. It should rip right through those small branches like butter. Or perhaps you didn't use a chainsaw?

Reactions: Toasty-Yote
Take what you can get !!!!

Nice score of decent firewood !!

Reactions: Toasty-Yote
Might be time to sharpen that chain. It should rip right through those small branches like butter. Or perhaps you didn't use a chainsaw?
I used a crappy little Remington 16" electric chainsaw to cut it into sections. It was barely up to the job but perhaps a sharper chain would help. I am going to buck it all up tomorrow on my Craftsman 10" Miter. Love that thing! Basically zero maintenance and the blade just keeps melting through everything I throw at it.

Reactions: Woody Stover
What's with the black marks on the cuts? Burns?

I thought maybe the bar wasn't getting oil, but I don't know if electrics have a chain oiler..?
Another thing I thought might cause burning...he said the chain was dull, and he might have been forcing it to cut instead of the saw just eating down under its own weight.
took down a small dead standing apple...Enough that the car is riding a little low in back.

High-output wood. I'd say that's an imprezzive score. 😏

I thought maybe the bar wasn't getting oil, but I don't know if electrics have a chain oiler..?
Another thing I thought might cause burning...he said the chain was dull, and he might have been forcing it to cut instead of the saw just eating down under its own weight.
Yes, I was pushing it down. That thing would take forever to get through using its own weight. I also realized after I was done that it was low on oil so you are correct on both accounts.

Yes, I was pushing it down. That thing would take forever to get through using its own weight. I also realized after I was done that it was low on oil so you are correct on both accounts.
Yeah, even with sharp chain and oil, it might need a little pressure if the saw is very light. I even push down a little on my gas saws, until it seems like I have the right amount of load on the engine. But if the chain is dull and not cutting fast enough I stop and change or sharpen it. Forcing it wears the chain and bar.

Yeah, even with sharp chain and oil, it might need a little pressure if the saw is very light. I even push down a little on my gas saws, until it seems like I have the right amount of load on the engine. But if the chain is dull and not cutting fast enough I stop and change or sharpen it. Forcing it wears the chain and bar.
Good to know. I’ll try a new chain. My dad got the saw at some yard sale so who knows how old it is. It would be interesting to see if an electric saw with a new chain is even a fraction as fast as a gas saw. Probably not?

I would not buy a new chain, but instead sharpen the chain - it's a skill you have to learn anyway now.

I have an electric (corded) 18" saw that has no problem with oak or locust with a diameter of 2 ft or larger (cutting from both sides, of course) - I don't know how apple compares to locust, but you should have no problem cutting this. And my old (new to me) 18" Poulan is only slightly faster there - if both chains are sharp.

On diameters as small as your apple, speed differences are not really an important thing. Cutting thru 3 ft dia trunks, you may gain a few seconds with the higher power output of gas saws (assuming optimal handling of the gas saw - a thing I'm not convinced most people know how to do) - but for sticks <10" diameter any difference is negligible. (See the "pass my car and be at the traffic light 1.5 seconds sooner...")

Regardless of what saw you are using, keep it in tip-top shape. These are dangerous implements that can wreak havoc on you. A sharp chain is one of those requirements for the saw to be in good working order.

And even for (looked down upon) electric chain saws, wear proper protection. Even a dull chain makes minced meat of your legs...

Good to know. I’ll try a new chain. My dad got the saw at some yard sale so who knows how old it is. It would be interesting to see if an electric saw with a new chain is even a fraction as fast as a gas saw. Probably not?
I'd just sharpen the chain. You can pick up a hand filing kit for a few bucks and learn the skill. If you're going to use a chainsaw it's important to know how to sharpen. I sharpen every 1-2 tanks of gas depending what time cutting. Sharp tools work best and are safer.

I personally prefer gas saws when working on larger logs but your electric is plenty fine for branches and small logs that size. No need to spend $300+ on a new saw (unless you intend to get into bigger stuff or be out in the woods with no access to power).

I'd just sharpen the chain. You can pick up a hand filing kit for a few bucks and learn the skill. If you're going to use a chainsaw it's important to know how to sharpen. I sharpen every 1-2 tanks of gas depending what time cutting. Sharp tools work best and are safer.

I personally prefer gas saws when working on larger logs but your electric is plenty fine for branches and small logs that size. No need to spend $300+ on a new saw (unless you intend to get into bigger stuff or be out in the woods with no access to power).

I have a downed cherry in my back yard that is about 20” across at the widest. Other than that, I don’t use chainsaws that much. Reasonable task for a low end corded electric?

I have a downed cherry in my back yard that is about 20” across at the widest. Other than that, I don’t use chainsaws that much. Reasonable task for a low end corded electric?
Definitely. If you don't intend to use it regularly on large stuff there's no need to spend the extra $. Branches, brush, deadfall, or the occasional backyard not too big tree seems like the perfect job for an electric. No need to mess around with an engine.

;lol i knew a young fella that would buy new chains after he cut dirt instead of sharpening the dull ones.
he threw out one when he told me about this...
told me new ones cut better than sharpened old ones.
i told him i'll take the chains if you're gonna just toss'em.
I sharpened three of his and sold them on craigs.

Reactions: patrickk222
;lol i knew a young fella that would buy new chains after he cut dirt instead of sharpening the dull ones.
he threw out one when he told me about this...
told me new ones cut better than sharpened old ones.
i told him i'll take the chains if you're gonna just toss'em.
I sharpened three of his and sold them on craigs.
Ha hey free money! I personally sharpen my new chains before using them.

Reactions: patrickk222