Sugar Maple Bucked Up

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

thewoodlands

Minister of Fire
Aug 25, 2009
In The Woods
After clearing the beech from the trail I went for a ride then over to the sugar maple that blew down from the last wind storm, attached are some pictures.

We'll have some nice fires from this.

zap

Attachments

• 100_2276.jpg
    100_2276.jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 265
  • 100_2277.jpg
    100_2277.jpg
    85.9 KB · Views: 237
  • 100_2278.jpg
    100_2278.jpg
    85.3 KB · Views: 257
  • 100_2279.jpg
    100_2279.jpg
    82 KB · Views: 258
  • 100_2280.jpg
    100_2280.jpg
    108.8 KB · Views: 249
  • 100_2281.jpg
    100_2281.jpg
    75.9 KB · Views: 257
Nice maple! I really wish I had some on my property as I have always wanted to try burning it but I am plagued with hickory and oak o well it could be worse :)

We have probably 80 percent maple around here that is free firewood. The carpenter ants just eat the daylights of it, Randy

Me too. Only maples around here are Japanese :)

But the white ash, hickory, and oaks make up for it. I would just like to tap a tree for maple syrup!

jlove1974 said:

But the white ash, hickory, and oaks make up for it. I would just like to tap a tree for maple syrup!
I cut wood for probably 8 years with a SXL-925, same CC as your saw. I had a 36" bar on it & the saw pulled it easily. IMHO Homelite reed valve saws are very underrated, I still have a small SXL that will pull a 24" bar. They lack chain speed, more than make up for this in torque though, Randy

Singed Eyebrows said:
We have probably 80 percent maple around here that is free firewood. The carpenter ants just eat the daylights of it, Randy

Randy I think the carpenter ants got this sugar maple also.

zap

zapny said:
Singed Eyebrows said:

Randy I think the carpenter ants got this sugar maple also.

zap
Zap; I thought the same thing when I saw the sides of some of the bucked pieces. I cut an approx. 16" limb about 6 months back & they just poured out, Randy

certified106 said:
Nice maple! I really wish I had some on my property as I have always wanted to try burning it but I am plagued with hickory and oak o well it could be worse :)

Oh, my God. I'd happily trade you my maple for your hickory.

Singed Eyebrows said:
jlove1974 said:

I cut wood for probably 8 years with a SXL-925, same CC as your saw. I had a 36" bar on it & the saw pulled it easily. IMHO Homelite reed valve saws are very underrated, I still have a small SXL that will pull a 24" bar. They lack chain speed, more than make up for this in torque though, Randy

I like it, even though it doesn't have any of the modern safety stuff or anti-vibe stuff. Heck it doesn't even have a chain brake, just a plastic guard!
I just keep to the left of the bar when crosscutting, avoid plunge cuts, so as to reduce exposure to kickback, although it's pretty easy to control IMO. I also
wear safety gear (mechanics gel-type gloves are great!) and keep the mix fresh @ 32:1 (same as my motorcycles). It's the best saw I have ever use, and it
out-cuts alot of so-called pro saws that I have used. I think I am gonna put a bigger bar on next after I wear out this chisel chain

Status
Not open for further replies.