Sugar or silver

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mitchell721

Nov 9, 2015
michigan
Got a little over a cord for the price of cutting it from a family member it's obviously maple but is it sugar or silver?
IMG_0056.JPGIMG_0057.JPGIMG_0058.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
That's what I was thinking but I never have been able to really tell

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Agree. It is silver maple. I spent the past three days clearing a hillside of them. They grow like weeds in Central VA, along with locust. I enjoy burning silver maple and it seasons very quickly. Not quite as fast as tulip poplar but way quicker than most other hard woods. Splitting can be a bear though as it usually has lots of cross grain and crooks.

It's silver. Plus bark and wood consistent for silver.
Look at the sinus of the leaf: "U" for sugar.

Reactions: mitchell721
Thank you guys

Agree. It is silver maple. I spent the past three days clearing a hillside of them. They grow like weeds in Central VA, along with locust. I enjoy burning silver maple and it seasons very quickly. Not quite as fast as tulip poplar but way quicker than most other hard woods. Splitting can be a bear though as it usually has lots of cross grain and crooks.

What is your experience with burning it? This is my first year burning any. It definitely seasoned fast. Hoping it's a little better burning then poplar

Silver. The deep finger cuts.

I'm going to have to be the black sheep. I say its in the red maple variety, Better than silver but not as good as sugar. Our silver maples have much deeper ridges almost like 3 pointy fingers. Those leaves are to fat for silver.

What is your experience with burning it? This is my first year burning any. It definitely seasoned fast. Hoping it's a little better burning then poplar

I burn a lot of it and we burn it all year long and it will keep my house in the 80'S on days around 0. We burn all our hard wood mostly at night and on days less than 0. We love it as it seasons fast , splits easy and burns perfect after 2 years in the rack.

Well if it's silver have you had any issues with it holding up longer than say 3 yrs or so? I still got three more trees to cut down lol

We keep ours in racks ,2 of them - 4 wide x 6tall x16Long with metal tops. I keep it off the ground and dry it should last a long time.

It's silver. Silver can have deep margins or slightly more shallow, as in those pics. Reds have much broader spreads and shallower margins. You can always tell a sugar or hard maple because the margins are completely smooth and not jagged. Sometimes reds and maples can be hard to sort out, but if you take a small new growth twig and break it, red will have very little odor, while silver will have a very noticeable foul odor. Without leaves it gets very difficult.

upload_2016-10-26_1-34-37.jpegupload_2016-10-26_1-35-29.jpegsilvers

upload_2016-10-26_1-36-59.jpegimages?q=tbn:ANd9GcTLy8WvvzN4cxK3maJdKPT7r56OOMIVps1CDA_7JPngolfNOloR.jpg reds

upload_2016-10-26_1-40-42.jpegupload_2016-10-26_1-41-10.jpeg sugar or hard maples (note the lack of serration/jagged edges in the margins)

Reactions: TedyOH
Silver is fine for shoulder season but I've found it doesn't last long enough to keep the heat when the temps dump off. I'm burning it right now and it gets the stove to around 300F on three or four splits but it burns quickly. The other night I tossed in a small piece of hedge and a piece of ash and the house was still at 74F when I got up. I'm splitting some now that's been down for a year and I could burn it if needed.

Long story short: seasons very quickly, burns very well, doesn't burn very long.

\fv

Reactions: FaithfulWoodsman

Burns longer than poplar but not as long as oak. It is classified as a hardwood and burns as such. Like poplar and pine though, it burns noticeably better in the fifteen percent moisture range than it does at twenty percent. Let it dry really well.

Silver does fine after a year or so in the stacks. I have some 2 year stuff waiting for Nov. Your statement on poplar doesn't put my mind at ease. Crazy, but in all the years I have been burning I've never burned any poplar. Avoided it due to the rep. But had to take several down on my prop last year and threw em in the stacks and they will be the first wood I burn this year. I have some other stuff to mix in, but hoping I didn't make a mistake adding a full cord of it to the "ready to burn" wood shed. The wood is dry though at <18%.

Reactions: jrems
I put poplar in the same realm as silver maple.

fv

fv
You'll know when you cut it whether or not it's sugar or silver.This hard maple is just that very hard.maple3.jpeg

You'll know when you cut it whether or not it's sugar or silver.This hard maple is just that very hard.View attachment 186794
Does it cut simular to say ash? I didn't think it looked quite hard but maple seems to be a weird tree that kind of rots inside out so I wasn't sure. First time taking it for firewood

I'll tell you what I'll trade you logs (you deliver obviously) so I can see it. Lol

Does it cut simular to say ash?
Silver and red cut noticeable easier than ash, but hard maple is more noticeably difficult than ash. More like oak. I speak only of solid trees. Variables like rot completely change cutting regardless of the tree.

Silver does fine after a year or so in the stacks. I have some 2 year stuff waiting for Nov. Your statement on poplar doesn't put my mind at ease. Crazy, but in all the years I have been burning I've never burned any poplar. Avoided it due to the rep. But had to take several down on my prop last year and threw em in the stacks and they will be the first wood I burn this year. I have some other stuff to mix in, but hoping I didn't make a mistake adding a full cord of it to the "ready to burn" wood shed. The wood is dry though at <18%.
You didn't make a mistake. The poplar will ignite easily and burn hot. You will just have to load the stove more often. It is plentiful around here so we burn it often in the shoulder seasons.

Reactions: FaithfulWoodsman
Does it cut simular to say ash? I didn't think it looked quite hard but maple seems to be a weird tree that kind of rots inside out so I wasn't sure. First time taking it for firewood

Ash in my opinion cuts very easy. Hard maple not so at least similar to hickory,it will give a saw a workout. Silver,red,maple cuts like butter.

Reactions: mitchell721
Your statement on poplar doesn't put my mind at ease. Crazy, but in all the years I have been burning I've never burned any poplar. Avoided it due to the rep. But had to take several down on my prop last year and threw em in the stacks and they will be the first wood I burn this year. I have some other stuff to mix in, but hoping I didn't make a mistake adding a full cord of it to the "ready to burn" wood shed.
My experience is that Tulip is a notch below soft Maple, Red particularly. As long as that cord of it isn't in the way of your getting to 'good' wood, no problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.