Sugar or silver

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
As long as that cord of it isn't in the way of your getting to 'good' wood, no problem.
Haha......nope. Shed holds two, so poplar is on one side and the other is the harder stuff allowing me to mix them.

Reactions: Woody Stover
Shed holds two, so poplar is on one side and the other is the harder stuff allowing me to mix them.
Good deal. I've been splitting any Tulip I get into small splits or kindling and using it in the front of the box, with heavier wood behind/below it. The Tulip will kick off the new load pretty quickly.

It's silver. Silver can have deep margins or slightly more shallow, as in those pics. Reds have much broader spreads and shallower margins. You can always tell a sugar or hard maple because the margins are completely smooth and not jagged. Sometimes reds and maples can be hard to sort out, but if you take a small new growth twig and break it, red will have very little odor, while silver will have a very noticeable foul odor. Without leaves it gets very difficult.

View attachment 186583View attachment 186584silvers

View attachment 186585View attachment 186588 reds

View attachment 186586View attachment 186587 sugar or hard maples (note the lack of serration/jagged edges in the margins)

comparing these pics to the posters, still looks like red to me.

Idk I want to say it's not red I think the one on my property is a red don't they tend to be bigger leafs. And trucks smaller? These trees were 3ft diameter and split off into other trunks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

comparing these pics to the posters, still looks like red to me.
I think the one on my property is a red don't they tend to be bigger leafs. And trucks smaller? These trees were 3ft diameter and split off into other trunks
I can see what STIHLY DAN is saying, they look a little wider than the Silver leaves I usually see. But with these yard trees, who knows, it could be some sort of landscaper's hybrid. Heck, I've got two Reds here along the drive and both leaves and bark look quite different from each other. Sugar, Silver and Red all have about the same size trunks, according to my Audubon Guide, but they show Silver as tending more toward multiple trunks. I'm going with Silver, even though the leaf has more width and isn't quite as lacey as the Silver I often see.

Status
Not open for further replies.