Suggestion for 1 1/2" pex fittings ..

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I used 1 1/4" brass barbed to MPT fittings to convet from PEX to copper pipe on my 1 1/4 lines. Would work fine on 1 1/2 also. Heat the PEX with a heat gun to soften and insert the barbed fitting. Secure with TWO stainless steel band clamps.

Hunderliggur said:
I used 1 1/4" brass barbed to MPT fittings to convet from PEX to copper pipe on my 1 1/4 lines. Would work fine on 1 1/2 also. Heat the PEX with a heat gun to soften and insert the barbed fitting. Secure with TWO stainless steel band clamps.

Yeah, I have a guy checking into that right now. However, he said there could be a problem trying to find a brass barbed fitting that would fit right. Since 1 1/2" pex is smaller than that on the ID, a 1 1/2" barbed fitting would pronbably not fit inside it. I just called him again and said I wanted a full 1 1/4" flow or I will probably end up going with copper pipe. I'm really not worried about it ever freezing. I only have a 35' run, and I'm always here in the winter anyway. If the power were to be out for a long time I have a generator I could use. It would actually be cheaper to use the copper, and I wouldn't have to worry about overheat temps melting anything.

Pat

I did not end up going the route of PEX with barbed fittings, because I ended up using other piping between my boiler and tank, but I'd originally been planing to use barbed fittings found some stainless steel barbed fittings from McMaster-Carr that had the right O.D. on the barbs to fit the I.D. of the PEX that I'd been looking at using.

The detailed specs for the barbed fittings' dimensions were not on the mcmaster.com website, but when I called them, they quickly and gladly sent me detailed spec sheets.

Hope that this helps.

PS- check out the clamp-tite tool;
http://www.clamptitetools.com/
that's what I was going to use for the PEX and barbed fittings-- in my opinion/ experience with other things, it creates a more uniform tension around the full circumference than stainless worm gear clamps do.

patch53 said:
Hunderliggur said:

Yeah, I have a guy checking into that right now. However, he said there could be a problem trying to find a brass barbed fitting that would fit right. Since 1 1/2" pex is smaller than that on the ID, a 1 1/2" barbed fitting would pronbably not fit inside it. I just called him again and said I wanted a full 1 1/4" flow or I will probably end up going with copper pipe. I'm really not worried about it ever freezing. I only have a 35' run, and I'm always here in the winter anyway. If the power were to be out for a long time I have a generator I could use. It would actually be cheaper to use the copper, and I wouldn't have to worry about overheat temps melting anything.

Pat

I'd go with steel instead of copper unless there is a good reason for the copper. alot cheaper and easier to plumb.
leaddog

leaddog said:
patch53 said:
Hunderliggur said:

Pat

I'd go with steel instead of copper unless there is a good reason for the copper. alot cheaper and easier to plumb.
leaddog

Yeah, good point, I might as well.

thx, Pat

Status
Not open for further replies.