1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Suggestions for basement heating

Post in 'It's a Gas!' started by lsirois, Mar 12, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lsirois

lsirois Member

Loc:
    Amherst, NH
    I have a propane / forced hot air setup throughout the house. This Winter, we had a wood insert installed and it really has been nice. The problem now is that the finished basement has been relatively cold all Winter because it only gets warm air when the thermostat on the 1st floor calls for heat. I am trying to figure out how to heat it. Anyone have a recommendation/suggestion for a propane heater / propane stove for a 1500 sqft basement? All I want is something to heat up the space to allow the kids to use the basement. The wife would probably like something that looks good too...

Thanks!

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. webie

webie Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Wisconsin
    Ever think about a pellet stove ?
  3. Fsappo

Fsappo New Member

Loc:
    Central NY
    Theres a million nice propane stoves out there. I would visit a few local fireplace shops. They will probably suggest something direct vent in the 40K btu range. I would then purchase the unit from which ever Hearth Shop I felt the most comfortable with providing they had a style/price that suited my needs.

Some good brands:
    Hearthstone
    Regency
    Quadrafire
    Lopi
    Avalon

That should give you a start,
  4. DAKSY

DAKSY Patriot Guard Rider Staff Member

Loc:
    Averill Park, NY, on Burden Lake II...
    I'd throw Jotul into that mix as well. Ballpark figure for the complete install is gonna be around $4K, depending on the unit you choose,
    whether or not the vent is going thru a concrete wall & how long a gas line run is required...
  5. Fsappo

Fsappo New Member

Loc:
    Central NY
    Yeah, can't forget Jotul (even though I did ;) ) We sold tons of the Jotul gas stoves on Long Island. Great product.
  6. begreen

begreen Mooderator Staff Member

Loc:
    South Puget Sound, WA
    Seems like the equipment is already in place. How about zoning the furnace so that the basement has it's own thermostat that controls electric dampers for that zone?
  7. dave11

dave11 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Western PA
    Speaking from experience, I'd suggest a radiant heat source over convection. Otherwise, the heat will go right up the stairs, and very little will stay in the basement. A propane-fired radiant heater, or heaters, would be ideal, though finding a vented one might not be easy. But my basement never felt warm in the winter, until I ditched the convection heater for a radiant one.
  8. lsirois

lsirois Member

Loc:
    Amherst, NH
    Thanks for all the input! The existing duct work would not be easily converted to a "zone" unfortunately. I am also considering a pellet stove. I had one in my previous house and really liked it. With a wood stove in the house, I was trying to avoid adding to my list of things to clean during Winter months. I am a big fan of pellet stoves though....
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.