1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Suggestions for Hot Water?

Post in 'The Green Room' started by jcleary47, Nov 29, 2012.

1. jcleary47

jcleary47 New Member

Loc:
    Gorham, ME
    It's tough for me to estimate how much I typically use as this is the first winter I've had my pellet stove so I'm not sure yet but I can say that in the past, we typically filled up with oil in the spring so we have oil through summer and then top it off in the fall before winter and sometimes have to fill up again before winter is over.

I filled my tank at the end of September this year, and I'm currently at 3/4 of a tank remaining having had just the pellet stove heating all of my house except for the room above my garage which is set to 45 degrees.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. maple1

maple1 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Nova Scotia
    I'm sticking with what I said in post 8.

You might want to see how things go through this winter, since it's your first on pellets, but as someone else menioned, you likely burn 150 gallons of oil just to keep your boiler hot all summer. My oil consumption with my coil-in-boiler was around 180 gallons a year for 17 years, and I'd say 95% of that was for hot water when I wasn't heating - the oil rarely cut in during the heating season when burning wood.
  3. Redbarn

Redbarn Member

Loc:
    SE PA
    We used to use an 80 gallon oil water heater for summer hot water. Used 1 gall per day, easily $100+/month.
    Switched to a Geyser heat pump water heater, using the same oil heater tank but with oil burner turned off.
    Have used $15/month max in electricity since the switch.

We have a large, in-ground basement that allows year round HPWH use.
    The HPWH run time increases circa 50% in the winter but hot water quantity does not vary much.
  4. jdp1152

jdp1152 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Massachusetts
    I'm in the process of converting from oil to Geothermal heating/cooling and ordered this hot water heater to replace the oil/solar one. I plan on installing it in Jan when the oil furnace is decommissioned. You should talk with your home insurance company as well, Removing combustion systems from your house can also reduce your insurance premiums adding to your savings.

The price and reviews were why I went with this one.
  5. woodgeek

woodgeek Minister of Fire

Loc:
    SE PA
    That's a good tip....I should call my insurance co. I still think for a larger family (we are 4) a 80 gallon HPWH is a better deal the the GE (if you have the room). And if it runs less in conventional mode, more eff than a smaller unit.