Suggestions on wood shed placement

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Hey Jeff, Didn't intend to upset you by having a different experience and sorry to hear of your failures with top covering. You have a fine woodshed there and can be proud to show it off.

Is water a premium in your area? Seeing the catch barrel and stone lawn makes me wonder how much precipitation you get annually.

We have different views on firewood storage and that is OK with me. Near 50 years I have kept warm and dry accommodations for my children and grandchildren, firewood storage methods have evolved very little in that time and we know what works or we would change it.

Stay warm.
Average annual precipitation where I live is about 23 inches or so. I use the rain barrel water for watering plants and it also doubles as a back up water supply for emergency use. I have a water filter that gets 99.99% of the crap out should the stuff ever hit the fan. Not a lot but something is better than nothing. At least we would have that much extra drinking water if ever needed. I don’t go too crazy with “preper” stuff but it’s a little something.
It’s not a stone lawn though. That is gravel (actually it’s cinder) to place my pallets upon. Keeps air flow beneath the wood as it seasons and keeps the pallets themselves off the ground. Pallets don’t rot as easily and last longer. In addition, when I am walking around in rain or slushy snow I do not get muddy feet that I track into the house.
All of these details I picked up here off of this forum over the past couple years. I’ve just been listening and learning, that’s all.

Last edited:
Reactions: drz1050