Summit B body baffle close up

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Hogwildz

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
So, I purchased a new baffle with insulation & pin off an online vendor for a decent price VS from dealer and other online outlets.
I've been explaining to many over the years about the make up of these baffles, including the secondary burn holes at the rear under the angle pc on the bottom rear. For those who don't know, the secondary fanning flames at the rear of the baffle are as intended by design. There are secondary holes/ports back there made exactly for this purpose. I could not get a good shot of all of them, but got a shot of one port near the end, and they span across the baffle along the rail.

The B body also upgraded from the top baffle blanket & cover shield to an insulation board.

Aside from the usual front face, front bottom, and center row of secondary ports drilled into the baffle, they added two additional side rows of ports along side the center row of standard ports down the bottom center.

Note, the baffle is bowed at front upward at center, from the factory. I don't know if this is intentional or not.
The rear seems to have a slight bow in the other direction.

There are also 3 added supports between the top plate & bottom plates of the baffle. These are tabs between the two plates at the rear of the baffle, most likely to help with separation between the two plates, and maybe helps with sagging .

The side rail blankets also come with the kit, the way it is shipped is not the worst, but not the greatest. One blanket is full thickness, the other is compressed and flattened some. The new rear baffle gasket was folded at the thin area, and is weakened and separation at the layers there. I have materials I purchased off ebay to make additional rear baffle gaskets, that cost much less than the OEM gasket.

Hope this answers some questions, and gives some insight into the Summit baffle system.

SAM_0688.jpg SAM_0689.jpg SAM_0690.jpgSAM_0691.jpg SAM_0692.jpg SAM_0696.jpg SAM_0697.jpg SAM_0699.jpg SAM_0702.jpgSAM_0704.jpg

Reactions: mar13
Thanks for posting. Your documentation of the Summit insert is the best. There are lots more secondary air ports. How does it affect the burn, or is it too early to say? It's so skinny. Does it weigh a lot less than the A baffle?

Thanks for posting. Your documentation of the Summit insert is the best. There are lots more secondary air ports. How does it affect the burn, or is it too early to say? It's so skinny. Does it weigh a lot less than the A baffle?
This is the exact replacement baffle for the one I am replacing in the B body they sent me in 2013.
Same ports & all. The A body baffle only had front, front bottom & bottom center ports, but does also have the same ports in the rear bottom under the angle.
Honestly, I never really noticed a huge difference in burn from the A body baffle to B body baffle. Maybe a slightly hotter fire due to more ports burning more area. The one thing I did notice and did not like, is the stove ceiling protector place on the B body & newer was made narrower with deflection wing welded on to slow the flame from reaching the outlet. The A body had a wider plate that protected the stove top plate with more coverage, the new style let the top plate overheat, and mine did get a slight minor glow around the outlet area due to this. I changed the plate out with the A body plate, and that issued was resolved.

It just came today, so I have not installed till I sweep this week hopefully. But I expect it to burn as usual, with no real difference.
I don't remember thickness changing, but I will check with the A baffle when I get to the barn to look at it again. Weight feels about the same, but it may be slightly lighter without the top baffle blanket cover plate though.

At 2022 I will send the old baffle in for replacement under warranty and keep for replacement back up. By then I will be too old to worry about another replacement.

Last edited:
Hog, If I remember correctly you have an A series Summit? No issues switching to the B series baffle?

EDIT: Nevermind, I didn't finish reading your post above before commenting.

I agree that the rear Baffle gasket PE provides is a POS. It disintegrates pretty quickly. I buy a few spares and replace as necessary.
The summit B baffle is exactly the same as the FP30 baffle. I know this because the one PE replaced under warranty had "Summit" on the box. ;)

Hog, If I remember correctly you have an A series Summit? No issues switching to the B series baffle?

EDIT: Nevermind, I didn't finish reading your post above before commenting.
I have both an A body and a B body. I bought & installed the A in 2006, had issues with cracks, got them repaired, then PE sent me a new B body in 2013 of their own gesture. But the baffle should swap out regardless if one wanted to do that.