Summit Classic installed (pics)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

HotDogMan

Mar 17, 2011
West Michigan
I finally got my new stove installed. It tested my limited carpentry skills, to say the least. I did everything by myself, notwithstanding the wife helping me get the stove inside and fetching me some tools that I dropped through the hole from inside the attic. I'm pretty pleased with how everything turned out. The only thing I regret is sealing the slate tiles, as the sealer darkened them to a degree that I think takes away from the black stove a bit. No complaints on the stove. The black porcelain and nickel accents make for a beautiful stove and this think cranks out the heat. I haven't stretched it's legs much yet but I'm sure it will keep us plenty warm this winter. I had two 18x6 rounds and two 18x6 splits of ash in it last night at 10. I dialed the air all the way down, turned the blower on low, and the top was at 300 at 6:30 with plenty of coals to get it going again.

This forum is awesome. This project would have been a much larger undertaking without the collective knowledge of the hearth.com community. Thank you.

Attachments

• Summit Classic installed (pics)
    photo2.jpg
    102.5 KB · Views: 556
    photo5.jpg
    99.4 KB · Views: 542
    photo8.jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 527
Nice hearth! I like how it wraps around the corner wall and continues to the window.

NiCe looking setup. it will be everyone favorite spot. Going to have to squeeze in there yourself

Very nice install, are you using the damper or is it for "just in case"?

Well done, she's a beauty. Is that the black pearl finish? I like that combo with the nickel trim.

Very nice!!!
I love the nickel trim....very sharp.... ;-)

I certainly wouldn't fret about the sealer's effect on the slate...I think the whole setup is very elegantly tied together color-wise just the way it is. You did a fine job. Rick

Very nice, looks like you will have some firewood helpers.

A-1 first class looking set up. Good luck and enjoy the burn.............

looks great do you have the blower on it .. just put one on my spectrum but havent burned yet..enjoy

Very nice looking stove amd install! Those are very nice looking stoves in enamel especially the cool looking grid on top..

Ray

Very nice looking install and stove. You should love that thing this winter!

HotDogMan said:
This is the new favorite spot for the kids in the am.

Yup, you'll find yourself getting up a little early for them so they can have a nice warm fire before going off to school. I also think it's how they learn to be pyro's like us.. :p

Great job!!

I have the same type of gathering like that in the mornings too.

That's a great set up! Nice job. This will be a fun winter for you. Good luck with it.

We've had a ton of great looking installs this season!

Thanks for all the kind words guys. Yes, the damper is there just in case and yes I've got the blower. It makes a huge difference in moving the air into adjacent rooms.

Loving this hearth . . . I personally think from the pics it looks top notch.

Most importantly . . . every time you look at that hearth you can take pride in knowing you saved money AND know that it was quality built to either meet or even exceed your stove's R value requirements.

As for the sealant . . . what type did you use . . . I started out with a matte sealant on my slate which didn't darken them up a whole lot or give me the "wet" look that I wanted . . . I found after a year or two the sealant wears or dulls and you can re-apply a different sealant for a different look . . . which is why I switched to using the gloss sealant this Fall.

Love the pic of the kids all half dressed . . . exactly how hot did you have it cranking in there? :)

Status
Not open for further replies.