Summit or Quad 5100i Insert

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Ray: go to chimneysweeponline and look at the comparison charts, click on the summit, click on the blower, and see how it is designed differently to work very efficiently even without the blower. Then you will see why I stated I really wished it would have fit in my fireplace. With the ebt technology and the air in and heat out, it would be my first choice.

$325.00 for an install? Are you sure thats not a direct connect?
And yes to the block off plate below under damper area. You wanna keep as much heat in the home and not up the inside of the chimney and drawn out the walls.

Around here installation of a liner for a two story chimney runs $650 and up. I'd guess a shorter chimney would cost nearly as much for labor, less for pipe... which I've been quoted $714 for a 35 foot length of Homesaver SS. Add in the connection parts and top and the installation cost goes to $1500 easily, plus the cost of insulation if one uses it. That's my experience, all quotes, I haven't yet gone through the install.

I am in a similar situation and have found that dealers bury $ in the installation cost. Buy the stove that you like, then shop the installation from a reputable chimmey sweep. As long as they are licensed and know their stuff, you are fine. We, in RI have to have a fire dept. inspection for our homeowners policy anyway. I have been quoted anywhere from $600 to $1200 on installation (25 ft SS liner) on an insert. At the end of the day, the total package ends up at $3000-$3500. That is for a PE summit or a Jotul 550. Both great stoves from what I have gathered on this site. My wife and I both like the Jotul, so that is what we are getting.

Good Luck.

Jerry_NJ said:
It may be me, but "JFK" seems to my reading to be talking stove, not insert, at different points. The link "summit in action" looks like a stove to me.

I don't have a Quad 5100, but I have spent some effort researching its little brother, the 4100-I and the best I can determine the windows, front and side, remain clear within reason. A slow burning, smoldering fire will "smoke" any window, I believe.

As for how much heat any stove gives, I'd take the published test specs: efficiency numbers, BTU output, along with the how clean they are for comparison. I'd not take a comparison by a user, especially one who has settled on one. It is human nature to justify past decisions by defending them. That said, I don't know the published numbers for the PE Summit and Q5100, but they are easy to look up on the mfg web sites.

My Summit is a freestanding but my Quad 5100 was an insert. I guess I cannot totally say the Summit insert and Summit freestanding burns the same but if I were a betting man that would be my pick. The Quad 5100 insert can actually be used as a freestanding so there should not be any problems there. I have been fooled by many manufactures claims about burn time and BTU's and I would be cautious about using those guidelines. I guess for me I would go by people on this website but I would do as much reading as possible. I feel you can make just about any stove work well by a lot of tinkering. Some stoves however do not need that much tinkering time, the Summit is one of them. Plus it by far gives out more heat than a Quad 5100 when it is fully loaded. I can honestly say that because I have tested them many times against each other, yes again it is freestanding vs insert but the temps were not even close. Plus the burn time is not even close between the Summit and the Quad. So this is why I would go with the Summit hands down over the Quad unless I was just using this for some nice burns and still using gas or propane to heat the house. The Quad with the glass and gold trim is sharp but again what needs do you need?

I also think the Avalon Olympic is a good choice but that is another can of worms ;-P

JFK,

Thanks, I've all but given my credit car on the installation of the Quad 4100-I, but may take a look at the large Summit insert. I had called the nearest dealer, but after some delay finally learned that he shows by appointment only, i.e., must be more a chimney guy than a store front. I let it drop, but if my Quad deal doesn't go through I may make an appointment to look at the Summit, this the big PE insert and it looks good in its pictures. I'm not all that sold on the gold trim, but on the other hand my wife is sold on the side windows which she thinks will make the fire more visible.

many of us have pe ...all of us like them....... its your money your decision.... you will be happy with your quad ...good luck....
but this thread makes me blow kisses to my summit as i walk by because i can't wait to get some good dry wood in her!!!

Yep good dry wood in a PE Summit is hard to beat, but I am sure Jerry you will be happy with the Quad,
Hell go for the gold, get the side windows too! If you think about the price difference over 25 years that's hardly any extra cash at all. :lol:
You hate to be like me and buy three different stoves in 2 years, ahhhhhhh.....The pain of changing a stove and buying double wall pipe, then buying more double wall pipe because Selkir does not fit Avalon stoves......Ahhhhhh, the pain, the cash, the frustration! :)

Well at least now I have two stoves that should keep me happy for a while

Status
Not open for further replies.