Summit... Will it fit?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Chum Stains

Aug 1, 2014
NJ
Got the duet on the one side of the house.. was thinking about throwing a summit in the other side.. Looks like it would be a pretty tight fit? Any installer's out there think it would squeezzzzz? I'm worried about the ''C'' to ''B'' measurements.. As the drastic taper may make the front of the insert surround stick off the face off the fire place brick about an inch or so??

summit_insert.jpg brick fp 1.jpg brick fp 2.jpg brick fp 3.jpg brick fp 4.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm not an installer, but it looks like it'll be a tight fit for sure squeezing a Summit in there. The front measurement looks good but you're a bit narrow at the back. Your pic shows 19" at the back and the Summit needs 25.36" You'll definitely have to extend the front of hearth to get the 18" clearance required out front of the stove since the current measurement of the hearth extension is only 13".
A PE Super insert might be a better fit as it is only 21.5" at the back.

Close given your width at 17" depth. Best suggestion I can make is to get a piece of cardboard and draw a template of the insert on it and cut it out (only really need the part behind the surround), then slide that in there and see. You've got a pretty significant smoke shelf taper in your box so that could have an impact too - it may fit at the bottom but not at the top. You can just lift your template to the 22 15/16 height of the unit and see how it will fit up there, then, too.

I did this for about 4 models I am considering and the way they actually will fit vs what I was imagining is quite interesting. Some smaller inserts actually fit worse than larger ones for me if they didn't start tapering soon enough (the Jotul 550, for instance, has about 10" of straight firebox at 30" width before it starts tapering).