Sunday mornin' swamp loggin'

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
S

ScotO

We got an early start this morning at 5:30am (got the maple syrup evaporator cranked up) and went to a neighboring town to get some cookin' wood for making syrup. Dropped a nice 2 1/2' oak, and cut up a huge one that was layin' on the ground. The reason those trees are dying off is the drainage changed on the property and its now a swampy mess, that wet ground is hell on trees. Short video is of us dropping the big oak, sorry for it being sideways I gotta figure out how to rotate it!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O25h4XWzBpE&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Some extreme noodling....

Attachments

• 2012-02-19_09-55-27_751.jpg
    2012-02-19_09-55-27_751.jpg
    276.4 KB · Views: 896
My sidekick 'Doc' running the splitter......

Attachments

• 2012-02-19_09-50-13_41.jpg
    2012-02-19_09-50-13_41.jpg
    347 KB · Views: 852
My weapon of choice......the ol' Stihl 041AV Super......

Attachments

• 2012-02-19_10-00-53_937.jpg
    2012-02-19_10-00-53_937.jpg
    259 KB · Views: 834
Five hours after getting started....home!!

Attachments

• 2012-02-19_13-25-34_756.jpg
    2012-02-19_13-25-34_756.jpg
    198.8 KB · Views: 792
  • 2012-02-19_13-26-58_159.jpg
    2012-02-19_13-26-58_159.jpg
    211 KB · Views: 824
Your using more wood for the syrup than you needed all winter for heat :)
Full load of Great looking wood.
That's allot of wood in 5 hours, Good job!!
Nice equipment too.

Dave that's about the truth!!! I used a weeks worth yesterday in NINE HOURS!!! :gulp:

Scotty Overkill said:

Nice work S.O., nice load of wood.

zap

Scotty Overkill said:
I'm considering getting a saw of some calibre or another. Roughly what is the girth of that log in the pic and how long would it take your saw to slice off a round?

Nice work scotty, thats alot of wood there. Nice to have a person thats there to help. Good looking wood too.

How's the sap been runnin so far? I has been going in fits and starts around here depending on your southern exposure and the wind.

KodiakII said:
How's the sap been runnin so far? I has been going in fits and starts around here depending on your southern exposure and the wind.
its been going crazy here this week, Kodiak.....I've been averaging around 65 gallons a day on the 70 taps I have out so far. Big warm up coming here for the next several days so I am going to hold off putting more taps out til this coming Friday. Hoping to get at least 40 to 50 more out next weekend....all depends on the nighttime temps. Keep me posted on how you make out up north...

Backwoods said:
Nice work scotty, thats alot of wood there. Nice to have a person thats there to help. Good looking wood too.
BW me and my buddy cut as a side job. We both heat with wood, we've been best friends for over 35 years and we both work like animals so yeah it definately helps having him around. We done hundreds of big jobs and we both know what the other is thinking instinctively. He's more like a brother than a friend.

You guys will have to school me on how to do this. Out sounds really interesting.

Making maple syrup is a blast, but its like a job. Best way to describe it is you can't wait for the season to start and four to six weeks later you can't wait for the season to end. :lol:

Realstone said:
Scotty Overkill said:
I'm considering getting a saw of some calibre or another. Roughly what is the girth of that log in the pic and how long would it take your saw to slice off a round?
I run the vintage Stihls, and if you ask me those old ones are the best saws ever made. The 041 was and still is probably one of the best chainsaws ever designed, period. I have a 28" bar on that saw, running .050 3/8" pitch full chisel chain, and it will slice through a 2 1/2' log with little effort (25 seconds, maybe?) when the chain is good and sharp. That picture was taken at a "Y" in that huge tree, both sides of the Y were around 26" diameter, the trunk was almost 5' diameter. The old saws like that had tons of low end torque and didn't run at the super high RPM that todays saws run. I don't want super speed, I want a reliable torquey saw, and the old 041's do the trick quite well. Now a lot of those old ones do NOT have a chainbrake, if you are not experienced at running a saw I would definately start out with a smaller saw with a chainbrake, until you get some running time under your belt. A full-chisel chain on a non-brake saw can kick back SEVERELY if you bump the nose into something while the chain is moving. So be careful if you do buy an older saw. For the experienced person, the investment is small but worth it!!

Scotty Overkill said:

Note the position of the splitter. Doc knows what he is doing and doing it right!

Was thinking of you today Scott while eating waffles and yes, pure maple syrup on them.

Backwoods Savage said:
Scotty Overkill said:

Note the position of the splitter. Doc knows what he is doing and doing it right!

Was thinking of you today Scott while eating waffles and yes, pure maple syrup on them.
thanks, Dennis!! Nothing better than that fer breakfast, I need to add some over-easy eggs and a slice or two of bacon though!! We just pulled 8 gallons of fresh syrup off of the cooker, wow is that stuff good fresh off the fire!! Yeah ol' Doc and I run the splitter vertical. Easier to split those three and four foot rounds that way!! :cheese:

Scotty Overkill said:
Backwoods Savage said:
Scotty Overkill said:

thanks, Dennis!! Nothing better than that fer breakfast, I need to add some over-easy eggs and a slice or two of bacon though!! We justdon't pulled 8 gallons of fresh syrup off of the cooker, wow is that stuff good fresh off the fire!! Yeah ol' Doc and I run the splitter vertical. Easier to split those three and four foot rounds that way!! :cheese:

Come on guys, we need pictures. ;-)

zap

Attachments

• 100_0688.jpg
    100_0688.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 211
zapny said:
Scotty Overkill said:
Backwoods Savage said:
Scotty Overkill said:

thanks, Dennis!! Nothing better than that fer breakfast, I need to add some over-easy eggs and a slice or two of bacon though!! We just pulled 8 gallons of fresh syrup off of the cooker, wow is that stuff good fresh off the fire!! Yeah ol' Doc and I run the splitter vertical. Easier to split those three and four foot rounds that way!! :cheese:

Come on guys, we need pictures. ;-)

zap
You devil, you.....lol....I tried to upload a video of the finished syrup before I pulled the pan this afternoon and it didn't go to youtube. I have to figure out what I did wrong.....that breakfast looks awesome, Zap!!

The wife said thanks, looking forward to the vid.

zap

Scotty Overkill said:

You guys definitely need a reality show! It would be awesome! Invite a moonshiner up from down south and it would be pancakes with syrup for breakfast with a side of moonshine and OJ.

RORY12553 said:
Scotty Overkill said:

You guys definitely need a reality show! It would be awesome! Invite a moonshiner up from down south and it would be pancakes with syrup for breakfast with a side of moonshine and OJ.
RORY I like the way you think :coolgrin:

Scotty Overkill said:
KodiakII said:
its been going crazy here this week, Kodiak.....I've been averaging around 65 gallons a day on the 70 taps I have out so far. Big warm up coming here for the next several days so I am going to hold off putting more taps out til this coming Friday. Hoping to get at least 40 to 50 more out next weekend....all depends on the nighttime temps. Keep me posted on how you make out up north...

Running pretty good here today. We had an overnight low of 24 deg. F, and it's topped out at about 43 F. I'm not tapping this year (might put a couple in on the weekend), but the neighbors seem to be busy with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.