Super Cedar Observations........

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Rob From Wisconsin said:
Stump_Branch said:
In all sincerity, I can definitely see a "nicht" for these
firestarters. Some woodburners may not have access to
sufficient amounts of kindling, and that's where the
Super Cedars fill a void rather well.

Actually I have access to lots of kindling but I just like the simplicity and ease of bypassing the kindling altogether and starting fire with 3-4 medium sized splits.

Treacherous said:
Actually I have access to lots of kindling but I just like the simplicity and ease of bypassing the kindling altogether and starting fire with 3-4 medium sized splits.

Amen brother. Amen. I haven't split or gathered kindling since the first box of those magic pucks arrived. This old dog is loving this new trick. I got a wild hair and tried two big splits N/S with another big one canted on top the other night expecting to have to replace the one on top with a smaller one in a bit. Nope. That chunk of Cedar Sucker lit the pile off with no problem.

And if you want rocket ship take off put two N/S with two E/W on top with the chunk of Super Cedar under the space between the two on top. You are off and running in nothing flat and for hours and hours. I can start a cold night load like that and be in bed in an hour. No more too warm house just to get a coal bed ready for the night load on a mild evening that will be cold overnight.

Oldmainer said:
Hi Guys...I get a few laughs out of how much verbiage a hockey puck fire starter can bring out...and some of it so serious too...:) oldmainer

It is the official puck of the NHL. The National Hearth League.

BrotherBart said:
Treacherous said:

Amen brother. Amen. I haven't split or gathered kindling since the first box of those magic pucks arrived. This old dog is loving this new trick. I got a wild hair and tried two big splits N/S with another big one canted on top the other night expecting to have to replace the one on top with a smaller one in a bit. Nope. That chunk of Cedar Sucker lit the pile off with no problem.

And if you want rocket ship take off put two N/S with two E/W on top with the chunk of Super Cedar under the space between the two on top. You are off and running in nothing flat and for hours and hours. I can start a cold night load like that and be in bed in an hour. No more too warm house just to get a coal bed ready for the night load on a mild evening that will be cold overnight.

I've done that with the big splits too. It works well and is so quick. I converted my parents to this method as well. It seems like it defeats the purpose using kindling with SCs.

I used one tonight - about 1/6 of one, because dang it, even when it's halved I can't break that in half. I guess it's my carpal tunnel (self diagnosed) but my hands just don't have a lot of strength anymore. I don't care that they don't break easy for me, but youze keep rubbing it in how "easy" it is! :)

fire_man said:
PapaDave said:
Wait, there's a score line?
Maybe Soupy isn't using the line to break.

Soupy should try filing an edge on his rocking chair's rocker and use it to split the cedars! :)
Soupy never complained about having trouble breaking them, he complained about how hard it was lighting them. I don't think rubbing sticks together would push his "Easy" button. While this Jr. flamethrower would, it would probably set off his frugal alarm.

rsz_mosquito-flamethrower.jpg

tickbitty said:
I used one tonight - about 1/6 of one, because dang it, even when it's halved I can't break that in half. I guess it's my carpal tunnel (self diagnosed) but my hands just don't have a lot of strength anymore. I don't care that they don't break easy for me, but youze keep rubbing it in how "easy" it is! :)

Tick, it's not you. This is just one more in the lonnnng line of tools and products designed by men and for men, and in this case the greater strength of men's hands. Even without carpal tunnel, I have trouble breaking many of the supercedars with my bare hands. They don't do it that way on purpose, it just doesn't occur to them that what's ordinary for them might not be for the other half of the population because we don't have those huge hams on the ends of our arms. ;-)

It reminds me a bit in reverse of the Japanese-made VCRs, the various connectors for which on the backs of the machines are only manipulable with very small fingers. Mine aren't big for a female, but I have trouble with the cramped space, and many men can't even begin to get finger and thumb around them.

So no, it's not "easy" for you 'n me because we're built differently. Get a hammer, and rummage around in the household tool supply to find something that when you smack it smartly with the hammer, it will break the disk apart, an old file or something like that.

I still have 98% of the kindling I scrounged this year - a pile of lumber scraps and a full size garbage can full of trash from around my splitting stump. Haven't used one sheet of newspaper and can start a full-load fire with any size wood. I used to spend too much time looking for, or making, smaller splits. One quarter of a hand broken SC is all I need. It's a great product and as soon as I use the 65+ I have left, I'm going to get some more.

Never used the super cedars. Actually, i sent for my free sample, got an email response, and they never showed up.
Since then, ive been using the Starterlogg's by Pine Mountain. Same type of setup, wax and wood, but no cedar smell. They do smell good anyway though. Anyway, you can get them anywhere, wally bj's etc... I guess thats what i like best, i can go pick them up whenever. I just got a box of 48 for $17. I never use more than half a Starterlogg, so 96 for $17. If i have smaller wood around in my inside stack, i can use 1/4 of one, so 192 for $17. I prob wont use the whole case this winter. They've never failed to start a fire. Just giving an alternative.

NW Fuels said:
Biff_CT2 said:
NW Fuels said:
soupy1957 said:
With all due respect to the gentleman in here who is intimately involved with the manufacturing, sale and promotion of Super Cedars................

Ok, I figured I'd hold my tongue on further comment on the product, until such time as I have used a couple dozen or so.

Downside:
A) They light, but stubbornly (broken or otherwise)
B) They are messy (having to make sure I contain the crumbs is a pain in the arse)
C) The plastic wrap is stubborn to remove by hand when you are half asleep in the morning
D) They have to be ordered; they are not sold locally
E) You have to pay for them.

Upside:
A) They're relatively inexpensive
B) They burn well, once lit
C) You support a fellow wood burning buddy, when you buy them.
D) They give off a nice "sweet smell" (as my wife calls it) when burning
E) They are a conversation starter with folks who come to the house and
see them in a bucket by the wood stove.

So folks, as you can see by my (imho) fair and balanced assessment of this product, that it is a 50/50 rating.
I think that's as fair and balanced evaluation I can give.

Will I buy more of them? Haven't decided yet. I did some first year burns with "Fatwood" and am tempted to go back to them. Not sure if I will.

Are there any other "fire starter" items that are similar that you would recommend I try next?

-Soupy1957

Thank you for taking the time to consider my product in your reviews.

In answer to your request for other firestarters may I suggest the following! While you are sitting in your rocking chair on the porch you might try rubbing 2 sticks together. This will save the $ and you can do it alone!

Have a great Holiday!

Thomas

Thomas,

I'm disappointed.

I read Soupy's feedback as fair, and possibly actionable in a future revision of the product or a competitor's product. The sarcasm I infer your response is not constructive, and unnecessary. It paints you, your product, and your company in a bad light.

I encourage you to reconsider. A polite 'thank you' in reponse to the feedback would be appropriate.

- BCT

What you are saying is I am not entitled to my observation. I see a avatar that shows a person taking it easy on a rocker. It brings to mind that there might be some opportunity to rub some sticks together. NO apology for observations here. Out west we have a dry sense of humor I guess.
Thomas

You can have an observation, to suggest otherwise frames it as a false choice.

However, your observations are unique as not only do they reflect on you, but the company, the product, and the company.

And when you lay that sarcastic tone on a guy that's done you a favor, you make a down-home sort of enterprise appear haughty and arrogant. It paints you, the product, and company in a bad light. You have the advantage of being engaged on the forum, having a good product, and being domestic. It's a shame to see you squander a bit that advantage by treating a guy who gives you objective, fair feedback badly.

I've lived out West, and can't attribute your remark to the culture.

Again, a polite 'thank you' would have been appropriate, and I encourage you to reconsider.

Cheers,
BCT

EJL923 said:
Never used the super cedars. Actually, i sent for my free sample, got an email response, and they never showed up.
Since then, ive been using the Starterlogg's by Pine Mountain. Same type of setup, wax and wood, but no cedar smell. They do smell good anyway though. Anyway, you can get them anywhere, wally bj's etc... I guess thats what i like best, i can go pick them up whenever. I just got a box of 48 for $17. I never use more than half a Starterlogg, so 96 for $17. If i have smaller wood around in my inside stack, i can use 1/4 of one, so 192 for $17. I prob wont use the whole case this winter. They've never failed to start a fire. Just giving an alternative.

When you do not receive what I promised I would like to hear from you. I cannot cross reference the name EJL923 to see if our address is correct. If you received a email stating they are on the way then they are headed somewhere. Please email us your name so we can follow up. I don't like spending $3.50 to send my samples to who knows where.
Thomas

Biff_CT2 said:
NW Fuels said:
Biff_CT2 said:
NW Fuels said:
soupy1957 said:
With all due respect to the gentleman in here who is intimately involved with the manufacturing, sale and promotion of Super Cedars................

Ok, I figured I'd hold my tongue on further comment on the product, until such time as I have used a couple dozen or so.

Downside:
A) They light, but stubbornly (broken or otherwise)
B) They are messy (having to make sure I contain the crumbs is a pain in the arse)
C) The plastic wrap is stubborn to remove by hand when you are half asleep in the morning
D) They have to be ordered; they are not sold locally
E) You have to pay for them.

Upside:
A) They're relatively inexpensive
B) They burn well, once lit
C) You support a fellow wood burning buddy, when you buy them.
D) They give off a nice "sweet smell" (as my wife calls it) when burning
E) They are a conversation starter with folks who come to the house and
see them in a bucket by the wood stove.

So folks, as you can see by my (imho) fair and balanced assessment of this product, that it is a 50/50 rating.
I think that's as fair and balanced evaluation I can give.

Will I buy more of them? Haven't decided yet. I did some first year burns with "Fatwood" and am tempted to go back to them. Not sure if I will.

Are there any other "fire starter" items that are similar that you would recommend I try next?

-Soupy1957

Thank you for taking the time to consider my product in your reviews.

In answer to your request for other firestarters may I suggest the following! While you are sitting in your rocking chair on the porch you might try rubbing 2 sticks together. This will save the $ and you can do it alone!

Have a great Holiday!

Thomas

Thomas,

I'm disappointed.

I read Soupy's feedback as fair, and possibly actionable in a future revision of the product or a competitor's product. The sarcasm I infer your response is not constructive, and unnecessary. It paints you, your product, and your company in a bad light.

I encourage you to reconsider. A polite 'thank you' in reponse to the feedback would be appropriate.

- BCT

What you are saying is I am not entitled to my observation. I see a avatar that shows a person taking it easy on a rocker. It brings to mind that there might be some opportunity to rub some sticks together. NO apology for observations here. Out west we have a dry sense of humor I guess.
Thomas

You can have an observation, to suggest otherwise frames it as a false choice.

However, your observations are unique as not only do they reflect on you, but the company, the product, and the company.

And when you lay that sarcastic tone on a guy that's done you a favor, you make a down-home sort of enterprise appear haughty and arrogant. It paints you, the product, and company in a bad light. You have the advantage of being engaged on the forum, having a good product, and being domestic. It's a shame to see you squander a bit that advantage by treating a guy who gives you objective, fair feedback badly.

I've lived out West, and can't attribute your remark to the culture.

Again, a polite 'thank you' would have been appropriate, and I encourage you to reconsider.

Cheers,
BCT

You have been around a long time I am sure. But not long enough to know my communications with this issue. Including phone calls from months ago. Yes, I agree, go burn wet wood.
Thomas

Stick a fork in this one. It is done.

Status
Not open for further replies.