super cedar starters and CAT Stoves

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

cstrail

Oct 7, 2007
Central Illinois
I have a Woodstock Fireview stove. Is it ok to use the Super Cedar firestarters with it since I have the CAT Combustor? I don't want to "poison" it or get the waxy residue on it. I know it would be bypassed while starting, but I'm sure the waxy stuff would still come in contact with the combustor.

I tried them. As for starting the fire they did good. However, every time I used one (1/4 of one each time) I noticed that the glass got black right away.

It does seem that as long as the cat. is not engaged that they would not do any harm to it but I won't be using any more. Still hard to beat a little newspaper and some dry kindling. Also, I still like the bottom fire rather than the top down and I do not wait for a coal bed before adding splits.

Newspaper, kindling, small splits on that. Once it gets started good, add more splits. I can get that Fireview from a cold stove to one kicking out real heat in 45 minutes or less with no problems.

I have the same techniques as you Savage... I just saw the ad and thought that if it was safe and faster why not. But once it is really cold like now I don't have to start a fire very often. Usually have enough coals to get one going. I keep a pile of old newspapers just to get things going. I will just stick with what works then.
Thanks.

Yes, we haven't had to start a fire from scratch for quite some time now and probably won't again until sometime in March or April. We'll just keep it going. Of course, there is the occasional cleaning of the cat. We don't let ours get cold but there isn't much heat. I put on the heavy gloves, lift the cat. out and give it a quick brushing. Takes only a couple of minutes as there usually isn't much to clean off.

Backwoods Savage said:
Yes, we haven't had to start a fire from scratch for quite some time now and probably won't again until sometime in March or April. We'll just keep it going. Of course, there is the occasional cleaning of the cat. We don't let ours get cold but there isn't much heat. I put on the heavy gloves, lift the cat. out and give it a quick brushing. Takes only a couple of minutes as there usually isn't much to clean off.
Backwoods, do you ever clean the glass? When you clean the cat, what is the temp of the soapstone?

We have not yet cleaned the glass but will need to do so sometimes soon. When we clean the cat, I must admit that I do not remember what the temperature of the stone is. However, I can tell you that without heavy gloves we'd need to let it cool more! So, it is quite warm. Definitely below 250. A wild guess? I'd say maybe 150-200. Next time we clean it, I will check that, but for sure you could not put your bare hand on it.

One reason for doing it that way is that it is our only source of heat. Another is that the job is so quick and easy that it is over with in a snap so no need to let the stove cool entirely.

The first time you do it, you will have to remove the shipping bolts, which is also a quick and easy job with a socket wrench. There is no need to replace those bolts once you remove them either so that the next time you clean, all you have to do is reach in with one hand and pull the cat. out. Brush it with an old paint brush, stick it back in and light the fire again. Well, you may also have to use the brush to push a little fly ash away from where the cat. sits, but that is minor. All in all, the job can be done in about 2 minutes or less.

Caution: just make sure you replace the cat correctly. I didn't think it could be done wrong but one time I didn't have it sitting just exactly right so had to adjust it after the first burn. Minor problem. Believe me, it is difficult to put that thing in and not have it exactly right! Just look at it before you remove it. I don't think you could get it in backwards at all, but you can have it sit without being placed exactly right, but only by a fraction of an inch.

I just cleaned my glass this morning with the stove still at 200. I raked the coals to the back and took some moist paper towels and wiped her clean. All I get is a slight white haze build up after about a week or so of 24/7 burning. Wear long welder gloves when doing this or you will get burned.

I'll probably check the cat tomorrow since it's supposed to be in the upper 30's. Good time to cool the stove down, inspect and vacuum everything out.

Thanks for the replys. The Fireview is great stove. Now the problem is getting my house insulated so I can cut off the oil heat. Stove is keep it the furnace from running very much, but my house has very little insulations in it. Wonder what my wife would think about another stove in the other fireplace. I better wait on that.

pinewoodburner said:
Thanks for the replys. The Fireview is great stove. Now the problem is getting my house insulated so I can cut off the oil heat. Stove is keep it the furnace from running very much, but my house has very little insulations in it. Wonder what my wife would think about another stove in the other fireplace. I better wait on that.

Where is your stove located? Far end or central? Have you tried fans? Some day I'll have two Woodstocks.

Status
Not open for further replies.