Super Cedars Work Well

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Simonkenton

Minister of Fire
Feb 27, 2014
Marshall NC
I am an old-time wood burner, got my first wood stove 43 years ago. I have always used newspaper and small pieces of split pine to light my fires and I am good at it.
I heard all y'all young whippersnappers talking up Super Cedars on this site. Last week I broke down and ordered a case. I got the crumbly kind.

Just fired one up yesterday. Damn do those work well! I just broke it up with my hands, used about 1/3 of the piece.

Another Super Cedar convert . . .

I think most of us who have burned wood for years are always a bit skeptical . . . I mean . . . paying for a fire starter when it's really easy to just use crumpled up newspaper? Why would anyone do that?

I still use newspaper occasionally, but 1/4 of a Super Cedar and you've got a long burning fire starter (I cannot even fathom anyone using a whole puck to start a fire.) I find that I have to use far less kindling and unlike using the newspaper it's very rare that I have a failure to light and have to crumple more newspaper and relight the fire again since the newspaper burned up too quickly and didn't get the kindling going. Heck, I've heard tell some hearth.com members only use SuperCedars and small splits and don't even use kindling.

Heck, I've heard tell some hearth.com members only use SuperCedars and small splits and don't even use kindling.
Must have been some boneheaded midwesterner bucking conventional wisdom. Those type drive me up a wall.:cool:

Must have been some boneheaded midwesterner bucking conventional wisdom. Those type drive me up a wall.:cool:

I have heard that there is some old fool on the Right Coast that does that too.

"It doesn't take all types. There just are all types." - Winston Churchill

i gave my inlaws a few to try, he shrugged and took it to humor me. a week later my wifes mother was asking where she can get some more of them.

I bust the puck into 7 or so chunks. Even though I score them first with a utility knife, I still end up with a bag full of crumbs. Sometimes I will load a flat split and scoop a couple piles of crumbs onto it for starting some kindling. But I've been trying to come up with a slick way to heat the crumbs and re-form them into chunks. You'd think I could find something better to do with my time... ;lol

I have used the super cedar myself And thought they are great. I was shopping in home dopey and picked up a box of the brand they sell(starter logg) ,Sliced them up into 3 rds and they also work great. I did find it took a extra few seconds to get it lite , but outside of that ,the price is right and it works just as good to me. Cheers

I bust the puck into 7 or so chunks. Even though I score them first with a utility knife, I still end up with a bag full of crumbs. Sometimes I will load a flat split and scoop a couple piles of crumbs onto it for starting some kindling. But I've been trying to come up with a slick way to heat the crumbs and re-form them into chunks. You'd think I could find something better to do with my time... ;lol

I take the loose crumbs and fill a small rolled up piece of paper with them.lights like a torch and much easier than trying to heat/reform them.

Reactions: dyerkutn
i bought a case a few years back. since i burn pretty much 24-7 and seldom does the fire go out in winter, they lasted for three years before i had to get another box. absolutely love them.

I call the crumbs Pixie Dust. A handful of them will wake up those coals first thing in the morning in a hurry.

Well, like I said in the OP, these Super Cedars are unbelievably good. I thought I knew it all but these things got such rave reviews on this site I had to try them. I guess you can teach an old dog new tricks.

All the big box stores carry enviro logs, they are wax/cardboard. Break 1 log up by hand easily and will fill a shoe box full of chucks any size you want. Usually 6 for $15, sometimes sell singles for $2. Way more economical, works just as well.

Reactions: tinman100863
Status
Not open for further replies.