SuperStorm Sandy= Free Wood!!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

NordicSplitter

Minister of Fire
May 22, 2011
Western,NY
Lots of talk about The SuperStorm.......Just thinking about all the free wood that will be available. I'm over in the WNY area and they are already calling for winds 35-45 mph with gust up to 60 mph! With 3-6" of rain....sooner or later the trees will give and come tumbling down. Hope everyone is ready, be safe and enjoy the free wood compliments of Mother Nature

Yep, I've spent the past 2 days cutting and processing. I'm tired, but I just might have to hop in the truck and "drive around" a little after this thing passes to see what's down. Guess I better go sharpen my chain;)

Reactions: Backwoods Savage
Good luck to all. They seem to think we'll get snow Monday night here. We don't need any more wind as we've had plenty this month. Not much for leaf left on any trees now.

40-50 mph wind expected here, along with at least 6 inches of rain and possible snow at some point. I'm sharpening chains tomorrow and going to try to get out after the storm. I drove through the National Forest road near my house today and saw at least 6 trees that I could take rather easily, this storm will almost certainly add more. I'm going to wait until late this week or during the weekend to start cutting though until this monster has passed. Everybody get ready and stay safe.

Reactions: Backwoods Savage
Ah, California. Just had two days of rain, burned 3 wheelbarrows full of lumber scraps, now temps are back up in the 80's. It will get cold, just not yet.

Good luck to all. They seem to think we'll get snow Monday night here. We don't need any more wind as we've had plenty this month. Not much for leaf left on any trees now.

Same here but with wind too.

I just finished s/s'ing all that I had gotten from the derecho storm this summer. There will be wood to be had, for sure, but I'm 3+ years ahead at this point and already getting lots of comments about wood hoarding. Hope everyone & their property stays safe.

I figure their will be much wood to be had come Wednesday. However, their will be a heavy price paid by many folks for this wood. If your in the storms path be safe and use common sense.

I've got my Jonsered ready to go. The high winds are scheduled to hit Massachusetts late tonight. Of course, I'm going wait until things blow over before I get out there and cut any downed trees. I could sure use free wood.

Depending on how bad it gets I may go out with my chainsaw and help clear driveways, and I'll have the trailer with me. I will make sure to let it be known that I plan to return and pick up the wood so please don't throw it away. I really don't expect a lot of impacts here; we're 150 miles or so inland.

Reactions: PA Fire Bug
Our schools down here just folded for tomorrow. Only 25 mph winds expected, but we have a lot of flooding potential and sketchy electricity. Be safe all y'all up there!

I work for a school system.....closed Monday and Tuesday to start....last years storm was a week off....but the wood disappeared quick....this time I'll be ready to pounce, but with the winds (60mph, with 80-85mph gust), I may have some of my own to clean up....got a few trees I'm worried about, the Work Shed, the Camper, the Kitchen, our Bedroom and the Living Room are targets....when it starts whipping up, we may move downstairs for safety......everything insured

right now everything is closed in the d.c. area to include federal and local governments, schools, metro, subways and a lot of local business. been lucky so far, only 2 in of rain since midnight and winds 2-10 mph with occasional gusts. looks like it will pick up in a couple of hours and really let its presence known.

cass

hope all is well and the storm passes without too much damage, be safe my friends

Went and bought to new chains yesterday, as of right now I dont think ill use either one of them, that being said we have two trees were worried about and may sleep in the basement as well

Status
Not open for further replies.