Supervent double wall installation question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

wendell

Minister of Fire
Jan 29, 2008
NE Iowa
Finally getting the Oslo hooked up tomorrow after picking it up yesterday and looking at my options for installing the double wall pipe. To get a regular piece of pipe to fit, I need to cut away the outer pipe so the inner can fit down into the stove. I would prefer not to do that as getting a nice clean cut will not be easy.

I went back to the store and picked up a stove adapter and although that will probably work with no cutting, due to the flare of the stove, it doesn't sit in place very well and to get it to fit in place as snugly as possible, the pipe is angled backwards quite a bit which obviously isn't going to work.

I'm sure this has come up for others. What did you do or what would you suggest?

So when you shove the double wall section into the top of the stove, the outer shell bottoms out on the stove top before the inner wall bottoms out inside the stove collar?

With the regular pipe, the outer shell is the exact same diameter as the stove collar so it would need to be completely cut away. With the stove adapter, the flare of the stove is greater in the front so the outer layer can't slide evenly over the stove collar.

Anyone? Bueller?

Can you cut the outer wall of the dbl wall shorter so it does not slide so far down.

I was trying to get away from cutting the pipe for cosmetic reasons. I was just hoping someone would have already used double wall pipe with an Oslo and would have a suggestion.

That is the transition piece between the class A and the double wall pipe.

wendell said:
I was trying to get away from cutting the pipe for cosmetic reasons. I was just hoping someone would have already used double wall pipe with an Oslo and would have a suggestion.

Well I hate to say it but they don't make a stove top adapter for every flue collar out there. If you have to cut it to fit square and tight that's what has to be done. I can make that cut with a tin snips and it looks straight and not jagged and when painted back up looks as good as a factory slip pc. But that is why people pay me to put in their stoves with nice level pipe screws all lined up no seams showing and cosmetic appealing.

Wow, must be a thick stove collar. Check different brands of double wall for one with slightly larger OD. This connection should be very tight. There are plenty of Oslo stoves out there, surely someone has had this problem. I would call Oslo.

Good idea. I can't find a phone number but find the e-mail for the US importer which is interestingly, [email protected].

EDIT: my e-mail immediately bounced so I guess that e-mail is not as interesting as I thought.

Status
Not open for further replies.