supervent installation options

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jchripczuk

Oct 11, 2014
Pennsylvania
I'm planning the installation of a supervent chimney. I have two possible layouts and have gone back and forth about which is best. Would love some feedback to help me decide which is best long-term. The trade off comes between the difficulty of work in the attic and the length of chimney above the roofline.

Option 1 puts 15 degree elbows in second floor bedroom. This will allow the pipe to go straight up through the attic and avoids joists but puts about 6 feet above the roof.

Option 2 puts a 30 degree elbows in the attic to run the pipe up along the roof and puts about 4.5-5 feet above the roof. However, if I go with option 2 I have to cut a ceiling joist (which can be supported by the enclose I need to put in the second story). I also need to put the first elbow as low as possible, which means skipping the attic insulation shield and fabricating something on my own. I have some concerns about what my insurance company will do with that if any accidents ever happen since it deviates from the Supervent manual.

So option 2 is more difficult but reduces the amount of chimney above the roof. By 1 to 1.5 feet. Is it worth it? Will cleaning be an issue if I have 6 feet above the roofline?
Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.