Supplement wood with Ohio Coal

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

joshh

Aug 15, 2008
I currently use a late model Dutch West (wood only)medium stove. This is a very nice stove but way to small, it needs feed in the night and we still use a lot of propane. I burn mostly well seasoned poor quality wood that I cut from down trees on our property. I recently found that I can get coal locally for $50-$60 a ton. I would like to use a bigger stove and my wood, but supplement with coal especially at night and during the colder months. I would appreciate your thoughts on Ohio coal and an appropriate stove.

Thanks, Josh

I'm not sure what Ohio coal is, soft coal?

There are several good coal burning forums, this one comes to mind: http://nepacrossroads.com/ I'm sure there is a lot of good information here on coal stoves. In general, a coal stove puts air in under the fire and has a shaker grate to help remove ash.

Thats a great price for coal if it is anthracite. The site Jerry mentioned is a great one. coal in our area is upward of $300 per ton. One ton of coal is approximately (depending on species) 1 1/3 cords of wood. Great price .

Also coal has these advantages

Pros

Doesnt need to be cut split or stacked.
Can be stored in the rain.
Doesnt rot.
Is just as clean nowadays because it is often washed
Doesnt make creosote
Lasts a lot longer as far as burning time.

Cons.:
Is a fossil fuel unlike wood is not as green if you believe that global warming stuff
Cant get it for free on your own lot.
You can get bad coal. All coal is not equal. this causes great frustration
More corrosive byproducts

I still prefer wood, but there are a lot of coal junkies out there

Also another con. Coal can be very tricky to light and takes a long time to get started for the occasional burner. This makes it tough if you are not burning 24/7

Well, we didn't get an answer to my question about "Ohio coal", but from the price I'd guess it to be soft coal (bituminous) - which has far less BTU per ton than does anthracite (hard) coal. But, I understand soft coal is easier to light, a plus, doesn't burn as long, a minus and a bit more exhaust pollution.

Somebody on the nepacrossroads site can definately answer the ohio coal questions. There are a lot of knowlegeable people on there regarding coal, just as there are alot of knowlegeable people on here about wood.

joshh said:
I currently use a late model Dutch West (wood only)medium stove. This is a very nice stove but way to small, it needs feed in the night and we still use a lot of propane. I burn mostly well seasoned poor quality wood that I cut from down trees on our property. I recently found that I can get coal locally for $50-$60 a ton. I would like to use a bigger stove and my wood, but supplement with coal especially at night and during the colder months. I would appreciate your thoughts on Ohio coal and an appropriate stove.

Thanks, Josh

If it's from the Kittanning vein you have some good coal. I supplement with about 300-500 lbs a year on really cold nights and it works awesome. You don't need to add much to get an all night burn.

Its give me a lot of information about the present situation in the world. The coal which is used OHIO coal is a soft but its not readily burn, it will take time for burning. Usually this coal is used for various purposes like production of hydrogen and other gases, electricity, gas and others. History says that it has rich in coal mines and rich in fossil fuels.
======================================
steve
Ohio Drug Addiction

LEES WOOD-CO said:
joshh said:

Thanks, Josh

If it's from the Kittanning vein you have some good coal. I supplement with about 300-500 lbs a year on really cold nights and it works awesome. You don't need to add much to get an all night burn.

What kind of stoves are you guys burning both coal and wood in? Are they the wood coal combo stoves or just the normal wood stove?

FIREFIGHTER29 said:
LEES WOOD-CO said:
joshh said:

Thanks, Josh

What kind of stoves are you guys burning both coal and wood in? Are they the wood coal combo stoves or just the normal wood stove?

My wood furnace is a United States Stove Company 1400. The USSC 1300 is the exact same furnace, but with a few gadgets on it that make burning coal better.
From my understanding, this means I won't hurt a thing if I toss a few lumps of coal in her before I go to bed to get through a long night burn, I just need to clean it out more often.

I was reading the manual on my Ultima fireplace again and saw this...
on page 8 under "important notes"
"Do not burn coal. The sulphur in coal will corrode the firebox."

Just thought I would throw that out there.

Status
Not open for further replies.