surplus storage

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

devinsdad

Hearth Supporter
Sep 25, 2009
northern NY
ok I got some log lengths delivered in the late winter/early spring I cut it up split it up stacked it up. I made 2 ranks 5-6' tall by 40' long I left about a foot between the rows and stacked it on pallets by my backdoor. The rest is stacked on pallets with pallet sides and stacked tight together... I had the whole shbang covered on top with an old pool cover to deter the WET summer weather from soaking it. SHould I get more pallets to put on top of the stack and then cover them with the tarp to allow the dry winter air circulation to the top of the pile.I found a source of pallets if need be. I'm thinking half of what is in the back will be brought up to replenish this winters heat in the spring. Mostly beech Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_0782.jpg
    IMG_0782.jpg
    200.9 KB · Views: 433
and the surplus stack

Attachments

• IMG_0783.jpg
    IMG_0783.jpg
    110.3 KB · Views: 416
I had some wood that was covered by a tarp and it seemed to do well without putting a "spcaer" on it but where the tarp started to succumb to the ravages of winter some leaking occured and the tarp would stick to the firewood. If you are in an area that gets a lot of snow you will find that the wider the top of the pile will equate to more snow to work through. All in all though it would be great for air circulation.

My piles are not covered during the winter. They'll be buried in snow and ice very soon. But by July / August, they'll be at 20%, and ready to go!
It's nice to cover, but not smother. But it won't make a large difference.
Happy burning.

maplewood said:
My piles are not covered during the winter. They'll be buried in snow and ice very soon. But by July / August, they'll be at 20%, and ready to go!
It's nice to cover, but not smother. But it won't make a large difference.
Happy burning.

I feel the same as you . . . wood being used for this year is under cover (last year a tarp on the top, this year a woodshed) . . . but wood seasoning for next year is stacked on pallets and left out in the open.

The wood I cut last winter just got covered this week.

Using pallets between the wood and the tarp is a great idea. That way the tarp won't freeze to the wood.

Status
Not open for further replies.