surprise this morning

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

geoxman

Feeling the Heat
Jan 26, 2010
STL City
I got off of work last night at 6:00 and hit a fish fry at my parish, drank way too many, came home and went to bed around 9:00 PM. I awoke at 5:30 and let the mastiff and retriever out to pee and made some tea. The mastiff usually barks at anything- but I heard nothing after 20 minutes, so I looked outside and they were both climbing a mountain of wood in the carport.
My tree guy last night dropped off two trailer loads of a huge pin oak! He left me with a few unusable extra large pieces but I am not complaining. The carport is 15x24 and it was stacked!
I cut and split about 1&1/2 cords today and I will finish up Sunday and Monday.
The pin oak is much lighter than the white and red I have processed, but it might just be that time of the year, no water in the tree to feed the leaves.
I tracked down my tree guy at his house and dropped off two cases of bud select. He said he didn't call because he did not want to interrupt me during dinner and just left what he had.

This guy is a keeper and I will keep him stocked with beer every time he dumps. So far I have gotten sweet gum...pitched half of it, persimmon, mulberry, walnut, white & red oak, and some ash.
Next week he will have some more mulberry and elm and he said he can keep my carport filled all summer long. I LOVE THE MULBERRY!

Problem arises.....I live in the city and I have been very creative about my stacking but I can maybe only handle another 5 cords at most. Saint Louis city yards are not the largest but I will make do.

If any one lives in STL city or county shoot me a pm and after he is filled me up, I will send him to you.

PS. I usually help him unload and shoot his help some few $$ and free beer. I would expect the same of you if you take the offer. good luck!

Sweet deal - congrats!

Great deal for you.
Is Alaska too far?? LOL :lol: I'd do 2 cases of MGD!!!!

NATE379 said:
You guys drink at church or is parish something else?

Only some puritan-derived denominations have a problem with drinking alcohol in moderation. Catholic parishes often have wine tastings, Oktoberfests, etc.

Its good to see another StL'er on here. I hear that persimmon is excellent firewood. One chart I saw it was just below OO btu wise.
Mulberry, I love it too. I have about a cord cooking for next year and some more to cut. I haven't had to use him but the tree guy I and my parents use and has been more than willing to drop off mulberry whereas he will sell the oak, ash etc. for firewood.

What do you mean your running out of space, you dont need a lawn, less time mowing, more time cutting and splitting :)

I was raised catholic and as far as I know there was nothing that would tie the church with alcohol other than communion wine. Certainly NEVER had get together that had alcohol.
About the only thing I can think of is Knights of Columbus but I can't remember if they had a car in their building. I haven't been in there in over 20 years.

It wasn't so much that it wasn't "allowed" but just not something that was part of our church.

ANYHOW... just sparked my curiosity is all.

DanCorcoran said:
NATE379 said:

Only some puritan-derived denominations have a problem with drinking alcohol in moderation. Catholic parishes often have wine tastings, Oktoberfests, etc.

Is Alaska too far??
haha, it might not be very cost effective for him.

wingman,
the persimmon I am saving for cooking/smoking but you are welcome to try it. Shoot me a PM

What do you mean your running out of space, you dont need a lawn

the dogs need some place to do their business. LOL When I am finished splitting my future wood I will post some pictures. I have been very creative with the stacking for an urban setting.

Certainly NEVER had get together that had alcohol

Maybe Catholic's in Alaska are different from Catholic's in St. Louis? We have alcohol at every church festivity. It is not a place to get bombed but wine and beer are always around.
We actually have a fund raiser in the fall called "beer and bratwurst."
The other night I got hooked into cleaning after the fry was over and the helpers got free beer...I had one too many! My church is 2 blocks away so the walk did me good.

I am headed out back to finish splitting in a few minutes

Now that sounds like my kind of tree guy! I've always wanted to try Mulberry but haven't had the chance yet to get any. I'll keep my eyes open. As for the alcohol and church, I'm Lutheran, we don't have at church but everywhere else, why not? Even Jesus turned water into wine, right? Now getting hammered and misusing it, that's another story i would think.

DanCorcoran said:
NATE379 said:

Used to attend a big Lutheran church. Our social events always had a couple of kegs in each corner of the parish hall.

And then there are the Episcopalians whose motto is "wherever three or four of you are gathered... there will be a fifth."

You won't eat meat on Fridays but you'll have too much to drink.......you Catholics baffle me!! :lol: Seriously, sounds like you made out pretty well with the wood deal!! If you have any extra send it out my way!!

Scotty Overkill said:
You won't eat meat on Fridays but you'll have too much to drink.......you Catholics baffle me!! :lol: Seriously, sounds like you made out pretty well with the wood deal!! If you have any extra send it out my way!!

They did away with fish on Friday, priests facing the altar rather than facing the congregation, Latin Mass, etc., many years ago. St. Benedict Catholic Church 3 blocks from us has a great Oktoberfest every year, with good German beer. Guess it just depends on the parish. (My wife is Catholic, I'm Methodist, so best of both worlds.)

Kenster said:
DanCorcoran said:
NATE379 said:

Used to attend a big Lutheran church. Our social events always had a couple of kegs in each corner of the parish hall.

And then there are the Episcopalians whose motto is "wherever three or four of you are gathered... there will be a fifth."

The Lutheran religion started in Germany. I'd expect beer there :D

geoxman said:
Is Alaska too far??
haha, it might not be very cost effective for him.

wingman,
the persimmon I am saving for cooking/smoking but you are welcome to try it. Shoot me a PM

What do you mean your running out of space, you dont need a lawn

the dogs need some place to do their business. LOL When I am finished splitting my future wood I will post some pictures. I have been very creative with the stacking for an urban setting.

Certainly NEVER had get together that had alcohol

Maybe Catholic's in Alaska are different from Catholic's in St. Louis? We have alcohol at every church festivity. It is not a place to get bombed but wine and beer are always around.
We actually have a fund raiser in the fall called "beer and bratwurst."
The other night I got hooked into cleaning after the fry was over and the helpers got free beer...I had one too many! My church is 2 blocks away so the walk did me good.

I am headed out back to finish splitting in a few minutes

I'll never forget many, many moons ago when I had to stop at the home of a priest. His name was Father Stockwell. The first time I met him he came to shake my hand. He had to set his beer down because in the other hand he had a cigarette. We sort of named him Pop Stockwell. He was a fun guy to be around.

Status
Not open for further replies.