Surprise!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Never had a problem splitting Elm, I cut it and let the rounds set for a summer, it then split really easy with my 22 ton splitter.

Never had a problem splitting Elm, I cut it and let the rounds set for a summer, it then split really easy with my 22 ton splitter.

I don't let rounds sit in my yard. I split them as I bring them home & stack it.

And a 22 ton unit would have barfed on this log:
100_1025sm.jpg

Actually - I am not sure that my splitter didn't.;lol

Sorry for the repeat posting of that pic. I am sure some of you long timers are getting tired of it.

View attachment 107774

Sorry for the repeat posting of that pic. I am sure some of you long timers are getting tired of it.
That pic alone should scare us all off of Elm.

View attachment 107774

That pic alone should scare us all off of Elm.
kinda looks like he ran that piece through a Morbark chipper!!

80d7a954d5d2435194fb55b20116e85d.jpg

Believe it or not, I split some ash a week ago that looked like that. Worst ash I've ever split.....

I think I'd rather burn $5.00/gallon propane than deal with Elm. Garbage wood in my opinion.

Oh yea they dry fast and well but the splitter has to basically cut/rip through them. Some I had were so springy I had to cut them the rest of the way with an axe or the saw! That's off a hydro splitter!

That is the very reason you don't split elm if it is green. Most times we wait until the bark is gone or almost all off before we cut. It gets a bit hard on the chain then because the wood is so hard. However, I've split many elm rounds by hand in the past with no problem. Yes, you'll get some that don't like to split, especially the crotches but it is amazing how many you can split with one swing of a splitting maul.

Reactions: NortheastAl
Splitting some American elm that was mostly dead. Splitting like maple so far.

As Dennis says on a regular basis, wait until the bark has fallen off to take 'em. That way they will already be dry and you hardly need to do any splitting.

A lot of dead ones around here, but still tons of young ones coming up. A very prolific tree here in southern Minnesota.

Reactions: Backwoods Savage
Not a bad wood at all if you deal with it on its own terms.

Yep - I have burned my fair share of elm. I actually like the way it burns. Its just that once in a while you will get a real monster to deal with.

Elm isn't that bad...but every once in a while you'll get a real "character builder" tree that refuses to split. Barkless red elm is fairly easy. Green Siberian elm is torture.

I have a giant red elm I'm just starting to dig into and I am loving it. Splitting as easy as green ash.

Grabbed my MM as I worked on splitting up what I brought back. Readings are running 16 to 19 - so at least I can plan on burning them this winter.

Burn baby burn! Nice numbers on that wood, schlot.

Reactions: schlot
Status
Not open for further replies.