Swapping an insert for a free standing wood stove????

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

fowler119

Hearth Supporter
Nov 28, 2009
Southeastern, PA
How difficult would it be, or is it even possible to remove my OLD woodstove insert and replace it with a freestanding woodstove? The insert I have currently has fans underneath and I can regulate the speed with a dial on the side, would I still be able to use that (or some form of that) with a freestanding stove so I can circulate the heat through the house? Or is this a bad ideal all together! It seems that freestanding newer models generate more heat than inserts and are more efficient. Any help is greatly appreciated!!

Can be done in some cases. But we will need to know a lot more information about the current install to advise. If you can post a full picture of the insert and the hearth that would help. Stand back far enough that we get the complete picture.

Also, can you describe the flue on the current insert?

Here are the pictures you requested...what exactly do you want to know about the flue? I apologize, I'm new to wood burning stoves. I know the insert was installed with duct work that goes into the next room and has fans that push the air through the home. I recently had to replace the fans, which radiate 60 CFM (boo!!) I just thought it would be more cost effective to have a free standing woodstove installed that generates more heat. the picture is not great, but the forum won't allow bigger pictures. The room has a vaulted ceiling and the hearth goes all the way up to the ceiling, approx 14 ft.

Attachments

• insert.jpg
    insert.jpg
    5.5 KB · Views: 913
Maybe try taking a picture from a bit farther back, in the daytime when there is more light.

How deep is the hearth in front of the fireplace insert? The height of the fireplace opening will also be an important measurement that determines whether a rear-exit flue stove will work in front of this fireplace.

Hi -

Much of my early experience with stoves was with Inserts so I was inclined to go with the familiar.

When I came here folks urged me to consider the freestanding approach. I love it.

I mounted the freestanding stove in front of the FP opening. I layed down some Wonderboard, and Marble to get the 18" of hearth pad in front of the stove. Not very challenging.

The venting issue: I used a small electric jackhammer type drill and went straight up into the chimney with Ridgid 6" liner. I then bolted the damper linkage shut and that was it.

You'll likely have an issue with the Mantle regarding clearances unless you put a heat shield under it.

I was worried about circulation. Ionly use a fan in very cold weather to push cool air into the main room long the floor, from a hallway as it's a large Ranch.

ATB,
Mike

I lightened the image up a bit to make it more visible. This looks like a nice setting.

It will first need to be determined if this is an insert or a prefab fireplace. The easiest way to do that is to look at the flue. Is it masonry up through the house or metal? I am suspecting this may be a prefab unit. If so, the answer to the first question is that it would be difficult to remove because it needs to be entirely removed, flue and all. It can be done and members on the forum have done it, but it is a big job with the stone veneer. However, if it is a prefab, you might be able to put a freestanding stove in front of it on the hearth with a chimney liner in the flue, or maybe a modern insert in the fireplace?

You will get more heat out of a free stander as all of the stove is exposed. In my personal opinion ( I may get soem flak here) I think it looks funny sticking out of a fireplace. Modern inserts are pretty efficient and the blowers don't draw that many amps. I put a Jotul Rockland C550 in my masonry firepace because of the look and I didn't want the stove eating up my floor space.

Status
Not open for further replies.