Sweat...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

quads

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Nov 19, 2005
Central Sands, Wisconsin
It was still quite humid today, but a few degrees cooler. Just under 80°, and a nice breeze blowing. Cut this storm damage tree up. Boy, I don't cut a lot of green wood, but it sure is nice to cut and easy to split. There was a little tension on this top, and I pinched the saw once to the point that I thought I was going to have to head home and get one of the old beater saws to cut it out, but a little brute force and out it came.
IMG_8440%20(718x1280).jpg

Here it is all cut up. It was hollow where it broke off, otherwise all good wood.
IMG_8444%20(1280x718).jpg

In the hollow was the usual family of grubs. These two were really big and healthy!
IMG_8446%20(1280x718).jpg

$50 worth of wood in that tree. It will be at least three years before I burn this wood or sell it.
IMG_8448%20(1280x718).jpg

For some reason, I chuckle everytime I see your "Fiskars". :lol:

We have been roasting in OH, would love to see 80 degrees. My wife usually hates the cold but today she said "Im ready for winter" LOL

That is a Fiskars right? It says so and the wood is split so it must be ;)

Standing Tall Out There! 96 here today. Thats what the car says.

If it was 96°, I wouldn't be out there!

That's my name, Archibald Fiskars. ;-)

It cracked 100* today. I started laying some landscape fabric and mulch on the garden walkways yesterday but it was too damn hot out at 9am this morning to even think about working out there today.

What kind of tree was that?

And where can I get my own Fiskars decal for my 6lb maul? :)

Cluttermagnet said:
What kind of tree was that?

And where can I get my own Fiskars decal for my 6lb maul? :)
Black oak.

I can make a decal for you; $40.

You can buy yourself some fancy Scandinavian wood splitting tool with that 40 dollars. :lol:

Nice batch of wood there. We seem to have mostly the Red and White Oak types around here. I havent yet run into any like that.

Thanks, quad, for sending that cooler air to us. I turned the air conditioner off last night so I could lay there and listen to the katydids. They were really chatting last night too! The old saying is that 6 weeks from when you start hearing the katydids is fall weather. That says Labor Day weekend!

A few degrees warmer today Dennis, but lower humidity.

Cluttermagnet, it used to be called red oak by the old timers, but nowadays they call it black oak around here. Beats me. Much of the oak in the background (and the tree that the top is leaning in) is white (until they decide to change the name of that too, ha!) Hmm, Scandinavia huh? I hit it, it splits. How do they do it in Scandinavia? ;-)

Nice take quads...I was walking the dog yesterday and noticed a storm damaged ash. Weird it didn't break off...it just laid over and bowed about 5' above ground level...looks like it under quite a load too. I'll take a pic since it looks like it could throw my saw about a 100' if I'm not careful...

...that would give us all something to talk about. Hummm, now that I give it more thought It's not all that big either. we'll see. And thanks for the cool weather.

quads said:
A few degrees warmer today Dennis, but lower humidity.

Cluttermagnet, it used to be called red oak by the old timers, but nowadays they call it black oak around here. Beats me. Much of the oak in the background (and the tree that the top is leaning in) is white (until they decide to change the name of that too, ha!) Hmm, Scandinavia huh? I hit it, it splits. How do they do it in Scandinavia? ;-)

Quads we might drop down in the 50's tonight, feels good.

zap

Yep, we're getting some blessed relief tonight. I'm already airing out and cooling down the house with our attic fan. The hot weather didn't totally keep me from wood processing, however. I still put in an hour or so near every day the past week. Slow and steady does it.

Great pics
Good fish bait
50s at night 60s days, rain of & on for last 3 weeks. fishing weather :)

Cluttermagnet said:
Yep, we're getting some blessed relief tonight. I'm already airing out and cooling down the house with our attic fan. The hot weather didn't totally keep me from wood processing, however. I still put in an hour or so near every day the past week. Slow and steady does it.

I did the same thing, high 60's last night so on goes the attic fan to get some fresh air

Interesting grubs, they look like giant Japanese beetle grubs, up so high in the tree I wonder if they turn into Stag Beetles.

ChrisNJ said:
Interesting grubs, they look like giant Japanese beetle grubs, up so high in the tree I wonder if they turn into Stag Beetles.
I looked them up once, but now I forgot what they were! They are in almost every hollow oak here, and have always been around so they aren't one of the new invasive species.

Status
Not open for further replies.