Sweeping help.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

ohiojoe13

Feeling the Heat
Dec 22, 2014
alliance ohio
I have a blaze king Ashford 30.1. Was getting ready for the burning season today and swept the chimney. Its 6 inch and I have always used a soot eater. I take the section from the stove to the ceiling box out and sweep from the bottom up. When I did that today, there is about 4 feet of chimney that didnt get as clean as I would ( 5 to 8 feet above the stove.) Every other part of the chimney I can see clean metal. What should I do? Going from the top down isn't an option. Is there a way to push a brush from the ceiling box up? Looking for any suggestions. Thanks.

I just swept mine. I have a white 5 gallon bucket. I drilled a 5/8" hole dead center in the bottom. I pushed a rod up from the bottom and screwed brush to the rod in the bucket. I push the brush up and added a rod every 3' to finally reach the cap. My wife held the bucket tight to bottom of pipe (in your case the ceiling support box). I held a rag around the rods and kept pushing up and adding rods. It did a great job and I did the entire system very fast. If you can figure a way to get the bucket to stay up in place with support or hangers, it's a one person job....

Just run the spot eater again. It cleans more aggressively than a brush. Cleaning from the bottom I just tape a trash bag fast with a hole in it for the rods. For the spot eater you will need some sort of pipe to use as a sleeve to keep the bag from wrapping around the rods

What would cause this one section of chimney to be so dirty and the rest clean? Could this be caused by an air leak in my chimney? I have never had this issue before. I am going to try to sweep it again with a brush tonight. It's looks like soot caked to the chimney. It's not shiny or like tar. Hopefully the Brush will work better.

Just run the spot eater again. It cleans more aggressively than a brush. Cleaning from the bottom I just tape a trash bag fast with a hole in it for the rods. For the spot eater you will need some sort of pipe to use as a sleeve to keep the bag from wrapping around the rods
I did that multiple times last night and it would not come clean. It came off if I used a scraper.