sweet deal on metal shopvac and some tools that I use for cleaning

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

michpelletburner

Oct 29, 2014
Davisburg,MI
Hey everyone, thought I would share my recent score from costco. A stanley metal vac, it was 25 bucks! 4 gal stainless can and comes with a nice fine (and washable) filter, and the usual attachments. I also made a 1/2 hose adapter for getting in the ash traps, I havent used it yet but has tons of suction. And heres a few tools ive bought/ made to clean the stove, scraper for burn pot, bbq brush from depot and a regular paint brush, oh and gloves 20141223_175843.jpg 20141223_175945.jpg

Attachments

• 20141223_175901.jpg
    20141223_175901.jpg
    138.7 KB · Views: 277
  • 20141223_175901.jpg
    20141223_175901.jpg
    138.7 KB · Views: 262
Nice find. Looks like it will set you up for the cleaning chores.

Go get your clean on! $25 for a SS can on a vac is a good deal.

I bought it tried it and then brought it back next day. For a pellet stove it would be awesome. For a regular wood stove the opening into the can is too small. Even a few small coals block it up.

I did that about 2 weeks ago when I saw it. (i work there) wish it worked out for me. The suction is pretty powerful as you said.

Hey everyone, thought I would share my recent score from costco. A stanley metal vac, it was 25 bucks! 4 gal stainless can and comes with a nice fine (and washable) filter, and the usual attachments. I also made a 1/2 hose adapter for getting in the ash traps, I havent used it yet but has tons of suction. And heres a few tools ive bought/ made to clean the stove, scraper for burn pot, bbq brush from depot and a regular paint brush, oh and glovesView attachment 148355 View attachment 148356
that was a great deal!!

Is there a difference between an ash vac (like the ones they sell at Home Depot made for cleaning stoves) and a shop vac with a SS can?

Santa brought me a new Shop Vac yesterday! He wanted his back, I think! :)

It's a regular model, not metal or anything. I always clean the stove after it sat unused overnight.

I have this vac .. beware the plastic insert can pull out of the business end of the hose and is a b***h to get back in all the way... good deal I paid close to 50 for mine

I finally got around to giving the stove a good cleaning and the vac worked awesome! and the reducer hose i made worked very nicely also. Overall i would definitely recommend it great suction and didn't shoot dust everywhere, and a heck of a lot easier then hauling my large rigid vac through the house. lagger thanks for the warning on the end i could see that being a pita

I finally got around to giving the stove a good cleaning and the vac worked awesome! and the reducer hose i made worked very nicely also. Overall i would definitely recommend it great suction and didn't shoot dust everywhere, and a heck of a lot easier then hauling my large rigid vac through the house. lagger thanks for the warning on the end i could see that being a pita
Hey the word is out that you have offered to do free cleanings for all of your buddies here to get some experience with that new vac. We'll be around so just swing on by when you get a chance.::-)

Hey the word is out that you have offered to do free cleanings for all of your buddies here to get some experience with that new vac. We'll be around so just swing on by when you get a chance.::-)
haha ill get right down there :)

I drape a small cloth (washcloth) that is wet over the exhaust to make sure no soot gets out into the room when I use it .. I dump the ashtray into a bucket and only use the vac to clean up the insides etc of the stove

Is there a difference between an ash vac (like the ones they sell at Home Depot made for cleaning stoves) and a shop vac with a SS can?

I am not sure the ss shop vacs have metal hoses. My ash vac does. On the other hand, I am not sure how important that is, if one is careful to run the vac a few seconds before shutting down to make sure no embers are left in the hose.

never seen a shop vac with a SS hose but I don't worry, since I don't vacuum the stove until it has been shut down for a few hours and I only use it to remove the fly ash, not the ash pan

Last edited:
never seen a shop vac with a SS hose but for I don't worry, since I don't vacuum the stove until it has been shut down for a few hours and I only use it to remove the fly ash, not the ash pan
Exactly what i do its just a bonus that the can is ss, my rigid vac never had any problems it was just cumbersome. Thanks for the tip on the washcloth i didnt see anything coming from the exhaust but it cant hurt

Good to know :D

also rigid makes a muffler for their shop vacs, could wrap a thin cloth around that too as a secondary filter.

Powersmith ash vac at Job lots in New England for $70.

Guys,

All metal canister, all metal hose (inside), washable large filter (no need to try 'wash cloths') never passes any fine ash - seems like a no brainer????

Great accessories included...

Guys,

All metal canister, all metal hose (inside), washable large filter (no need to try 'wash cloths') never passes any fine ash - seems like a no brainer????

Great accessories included...

Why there just happens to be one of those 7mi from here, I'll hafta go check it out, thanks! :D

25 bucks, doesnt pass any dust that ive noticed and I dont need a metal hose since I dont vac up hot ashes. So the cheapy works for me

I'm new to the woodstove game, but well seasoned when it comes to making fires for warmth, and I have been quite surprised to find embers in my stove up to two days after I had a fire. $25 is a small price to pay compared to your shop vac bursting into flames and taking out your house or garage :D

Thats why it gets emptied after I am done, I would be still using my all plastic rigid vac but this one is just smaller and more convenient

I dunno, I always find that with my luck fires always start best when I don't want them to. I would spend the extra $25 just for a little peace of mind.

Status
Not open for further replies.