Sweet home stove damper replacement

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

charliep

Sep 11, 2022
Washington
Hi, I have a Sweet Home stove, model Apline Fir that needs some damper work. To me it looks like the current damper doesn’t open far enough, but I’m new to wood stoves. Is the damper in the stove ok, or should I replace it? The damper is housed inside the top of the firebox and is operated by a handle in the flue collar. Replacement will require some cutting I think, because the current damper won’t lift out of the flue collar.
3A2F8A7A-460B-445C-A214-1B359E0A1D5C.jpeg

3039CD9D-B974-4CC2-A644-124A774253F0.jpeg

Moved to the Classics. I think this is an early 80's stove, correct? What I don't know is whether the Alpine Fir had a cat like the larger Grand Fir did. If so, the damper may be a bypass mechanism.

Sierra bought this company and I think they retained the Fir name but called it something like the AK-18 Fir. That stove was catalytic IIRC, but I am just spit-balling through a foggy recollection.

Last edited: