Sweet score

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Realstone

Lord of Fire
Have a friend that works at a lumber mill/store that specializes in exotic hardwood. He brought over a p/u truck load of hardwood that's already cut and split. It's roughly half maple and half cherry with a small amount of poplar thrown in. The best part is that it has been dried to 6% moisture. I will be rebuilding the flue & cap of his brick chimney but I think I got the better part of the bargain, especially seeing as there will probably more to come as time goes on.

IMG_0011.JPG

Reactions: PA Fire Bug
nothin wrong with those hardwood blocks. I used to be able to buy them from a local mill for 20 bucks a truckload (as much as you could get in your truck without spilling all over the place, sideboards allowed!). Those days are over now as they have since bought a pellet machine. Now it all goes to profit.....

Reactions: Realstone
I see at least a couple dozen jewelry boxes and/or humidors @ $30 - $100 each in that pile.::-)

Reactions: smokinj and ScotO
I see at least a couple dozen jewelry boxes and/or humidors @ $30 - $100 each in that pile.::-)
You're welcome to pick through & take what you like if you don't mind the 9 hour drive :) My brother just bought a smoker, so he'll be paying me a visit next week.

Scotty Overkill said:
nothin wrong with those hardwood blocks. I used to be able to buy them from a local mill for 20 bucks a truckload (as much as you could get in your truck without spilling all over the place, sideboards allowed!). Those days are over now as they have since bought a pellet machine. Now it all goes to profit.....
I better not let them see your post then!

Reactions: smokinj
those blocks are great for a smoker, also good for cooking on an open fire pit (which we do all the time in the summer). We started cooking on the fire pit around 8 years ago and the propane grille has been collecting dust in the basement ever since. I have a whole cord of applewood just for cooking on the pit!

Reactions: smokinj
You're welcome to pick through & take what you like if you don't mind the 9 hour drive :) My brother just bought a smoker, so he'll be paying me a visit next week.

I better not let them see your post then!

I get some scrap occasionally for the smoker too.Most of the time I use small hickory or cherry branches/saplings from 1" to 3"-4".Much more plentiful than lumber scraps,dont light quite as fast however.

those blocks are great for a smoker, also good for cooking on an open fire pit (which we do all the time in the summer). We started cooking on the fire pit around 8 years ago and the propane grille has been collecting dust in the basement ever since. I have a whole cord of applewood just for cooking on the pit!
So do you let it burn down to coals like a charcoal BBQ, or cook right over the open flame? And someone told me that maple will give a sweet taste, almost as nice as cherry for smoke flavouring.

You definitely got a real bargain there. Enjoy it.

So do you let it burn down to coals like a charcoal BBQ

You can if you are grilling...but in my world BBQ and grilling are two different words. I only use wood in my cooker, but I have an off set fire box. I would only use that wood for cooking if I was 100% sure no fire retardant chemicals or sealers had been applied to the wood. I only use firewood for cooking, because chemicals are used in the binding of commercial charcoal. I might use some hardwood charcoal every now and then for grilling. Good score and double check before cooking with it. good luck

Realstone,
Let's see here. FREE - HARDWOORD - ALREADY DRIED - CHOICE STUFF FOR SURE - NO BRAINER !

Hope he keeps it coming for you no matter what you do with it.
Tim

So do you let it burn down to coals like a charcoal BBQ

You can if you are grilling...but in my world BBQ and grilling are two different words. I only use wood in my cooker, but I have an off set fire box. I would only use that wood for cooking if I was 100% sure no fire retardant chemicals or sealers had been applied to the wood. I only use firewood for cooking, because chemicals are used in the binding of commercial charcoal. I might use some hardwood charcoal every now and then for grilling. Good score and double check before cooking with it. good luck
I forgot. Up here we grill on a BBQ. Down south (where they pull pork and brisket is not the rib cage of a bird), you eat BBQ. I would have to admit, grilling is much more a passion in the warmer states than it is up here. Love to see a pic of the cooker geoxman.

Realstone,
Let's see here. FREE - HARDWOORD - ALREADY DRIED - CHOICE STUFF FOR SURE - NO BRAINER !

Hope he keeps it coming for you no matter what you do with it.
Tim
Thanks Tim. Did I mention I didn't have to split or haul it? :)

+1 on the jewelry boxes & humidors. Also, I'd take some of the best stuff there and put it on craigslist & see if it sells........

Status
Not open for further replies.