Switch from single to Dbl wall stove pipe

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
  • Super Cedar firestarters 30% discount Use code Hearth2024 Click here
Status
Not open for further replies.

Chuck the Canuck

Feeling the Heat
Howdy all. I just finished cleaning my chimney, and in the process decided to switch from using 3 pieces of single wall stove pipe to 1 piece of telescopic double wall stove pipe. One thing that I'm curious about is whether the new stove pipe going to stink whilst the paint cures on the new pipe? The other thing I'm wondering about is monitoring flue temps; I used a magnetic therm on the single wall pipe, but that isn't going to be much good now. I don't much feel like drilling a hole in my nice new double wall, and I'm not sure I really need to either; perhaps it would be fine if I just monitor stove top temps with my IR gun and not worry about flue temps?

Cheers,

Switch from single to Dbl wall stove pipe Switch from single to Dbl wall stove pipe Switch from single to Dbl wall stove pipe

It will smell a bit not as much as single wall. You can do it just with stove top temp i like a stack thermometer but it is not necessary

It will smell a bit not as much as single wall. You can do it just with stove top temp i like a stack thermometer but it is not necessary

Yep, I burned a small fire and the smell was minor indeed... Now it seems to me I recall some talk about doubling the surface temp reading of double wall stove pipe to get a rough guestimate of the flue temps inside; so I could use the IR gun for reading both stove top and rough flue temps if that were the case....

Cheers

Status
Not open for further replies.