Switch or Hydraulics 1st?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

pursang

Jun 7, 2014
Canada
I'm setting up my 5 ton electric log splitter with a one handed operation mod, I'm wondering if the electrical button should activate first or the hydraulics first? I'm thinking the pump should get up to speed before the hydraulics but the manual says it's the other way around.
Powerfist5ton22a.jpg

Electric first. No need to add resistance to the startup of an already high start load motor (high amp start up).

I'm not quite sure what you are getting at. My Motor stays running the whole time and just run the hydraulics when needed. But mine has a foot switch, I couldn't imagine trying to split with one hand on the log and one on the control.

I got this one from CT. I've probably split about 8 cords with it so far.

Reactions: pursang
I think we are getting our wires crossed (pun intended). Your motor and pump are physically connected as one unit. If the motor is turning, so is the pump. The handle (control valve) simple opens and closes the hydraulic circuit. I can only assume this is the part you are trying to convert to foot operation.
Said another way...the motor and pump is running, you step on the pedal to activate the hydraulics. Do I have that part correct or does this thing work in a completely different manor?

I'm not quite sure what you are getting at. My Motor stays running the whole time and just run the hydraulics when needed. But mine has a foot switch, I couldn't imagine trying to split with one hand on the log and one on the control.

I got this one from CT. I've probably split about 8 cords with it so far.

The motor on mine only runs when you hold down the power button, then the hydraulic lever is separate, I'd rather have at least one hand free when I'm splitting.

Just as a precaution if you own a Powerfist 5 ton wood splitter, after removing the return spring covers I discovered the allan bolts on the spring retainers were all loose. these will most definitely loosen further while operating the splitter to the point of failing and give you a pretty nasty surprise if not an injury, keep these things tight !

SpringRetainers2.JPG