Switchgrass pellets

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

68 Couper

Feb 14, 2009
NW Indiana
I have been reading and talking to my bro who is a newly graduating chemical engineer about bio fuels and the sustained long term feasibility for these types of fuels for the future. It seems, the cost for producing corn and other fuel sources turn out to be one to one for output. Kind of like farm subsidy. Not that is a bad thing for farmers. But, I also understand there are species of switch grass that are being looked at because of a greater return on investment as far as ability to produce energy.

Have any of you had any experience burning pellets made from switch grass? What is your opinion of their potential for heating a home?

Couper

68 Couper said:
I have been reading and talking to my bro who is a newly graduating chemical engineer about bio fuels and the sustained long term feasibility for these types of fuels for the future. It seems, the cost for producing corn and other fuel sources turn out to be one to one for output. Kind of like farm subsidy. Not that is a bad thing for farmers. But, I also understand there are species of switch grass that are being looked at because of a greater return on investment as far as ability to produce energy.

Have any of you had any experience burning pellets made from switch grass? What is your opinion of their potential for heating a home?

Couper

Please remember to only burn fuels in your stove that the manufactor has approved. a "Bio-Fuel" stove might not burn switch grass. If there is a problem with your stove and an investigator (State or Insurance) finds you used an unauthorized fuel you will catch Holly Heck. This also goes for your venting.

Eric

68 couper,

As of right now in my area, Switch grass pellets are available. But the cost factor is of little savings to me. About $25 less per ton. I am still going to get a few bags in a few weeks to try just to see how they run. But as of right now, There not worth wasting your time on. Maybe in the future????

Yes Eric(the man with the red text "warning") My stove is rated for switch grass pellets and so is my vent pipe. If your stove isn't rated for it, And can't cope with all the extra ash! Be fore warned. You asking for trouble!

jay

Status
Not open for further replies.