Switching Gas Stove for Pellet Stove, Chimney?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

OpenWater

Aug 30, 2009
Catskills
First-time poster. Great site!

I've got an LP gas stove I'd like to swap out for a pellet stove. Is it possible to use the chimney installed for the LP stove on the pellet stove? Chimney runs straight up from the LP unit and out through the roof. No attic. Not sure of the specs for the chimney, though I could dig those up if need be.

Thanks!

Chris

Hey Chris, welcome to the forum.

In general, the pipe you have probably won't work for pellets, but you need to supply more info (and maybe pics?) In general, Pellet pipe is different than pipe you'd use for gas.

here's the place I bought most of my pipe from, but they show gas pipe too. I'll admit I'm not familiar with the piping for gas use, and don't know whether or not it can be used for pellets.

www.dynamitebuys.com/store/cart.php?m=product_list&c=44

I'm sure some of the piping experts on here will "pipe-in" eventually....LOL

Chris-
USUALLY gas pipe will not work for your pellet stove.......class A chimney will, as will pellet vent (PL vent).....so, if youve got "gas" pipe, I wouldnt use it.....but a label or something would be helpful here....

Wood Heat Stoves said:
pellet vent has a stainless steel inner linning, and gas has aluminum. the gas stove probably has 4" b-vent rated to 250*, which is easy to swap out for 4" pellet vent!

If he has 4" gas pipe, could he not 'reline' with 3" flexible pellet pipe? Just a question. Don't know the OD of the 3" PL pipe vs ID of 4" gas pipe.

tjnamtiw said:
Wood Heat Stoves said:
pellet vent has a stainless steel inner linning, and gas has aluminum. the gas stove probably has 4" b-vent rated to 250*, which is easy to swap out for 4" pellet vent!

If he has 4" gas pipe, could he not 'reline' with 3" flexible pellet pipe? Just a question. Don't know the OD of the 3" PL pipe vs ID of 4" gas pipe.

no, not per code, might work >though most stoves require 4" with vertical terminations over 10'

first step is to see whats in there , some gas stoves require type L or PL which is pellet rated as well, if he already has type L pipe he should be ok , if not the "b-vent" or type b pipe the gas installer used will not be suitable for pellet venting.

Wood Heat Stoves said:
tjnamtiw said:
Wood Heat Stoves said:
pellet vent has a stainless steel inner linning, and gas has aluminum. the gas stove probably has 4" b-vent rated to 250*, which is easy to swap out for 4" pellet vent![

no, not per code, might work >though most stoves require 4" with vertical terminations over 10'

Not sure that the 10' vertical is correct. It all depends on how many bends and horizontal sections there are. You can't just say 10' is the max. It's more complicated than that. We're talking pellet stoves and not wood.

Status
Not open for further replies.