Sycamore anyone burning

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

johnsopi

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Nov 1, 2006
MD near DE&PA;
I can get a lot of Sycamore It is down and in logs,a very easy score. How does it burn/splitt. If I got it all
it would be all I would need for a few years.

It splits like chewing gum, at least the stuff i split last year. haven't burned it yet, its low btw. but if its free.....

Should not burn. Sycamore Used to be known as "Sick - A - More.
Known to get people sick if burned in an open fireplace.
If burned in a closed environment and completely burned, I do not know then.

Dylan said:
Tough to split; holds LOTS of water, ie, heavy to lift; low in BTU content.

Pine vs poplar vs Sycamore which would you take. All limbed and in piles. It is easy pickings if it's worth it.

coldinnj said:

I don't know if I believe that. My wife says Pine will burn your house down and my neighbor says walnut will make you sick.
I believe it's hard to splitt and low btu's I need to decide if I want to a have a 5 cords of it for free.ie Loading it into my truck.

coldinnj said:

Its been discussed in other threads and dismissed as a myth.

Sycamore burns just fine if it is seasoned, why wouldn't it!??!!?! It is stringy and can be difficult to split if you have really big logs. I've split it and burned it.

sycamore is a softwood, similar to poplar , burns fairly hot but doesnt hold a fire long term because its not very dense. i have burned a little of it , was mixed into a load i had recieved. biggest thing bad about it is it will absorb water readily and if wet long term it will rot fairly quickly , i wouldnt want to have to rely on it lasting in the wood rack if exposed to the elements.

mike esw

I'm burning my free cord of Poplar from last year. It was a serious PITA to split. Once dried out it burns hot, but no long. I use it to get the initial fire started and a nice coal bed, and then put the real wood on. I'll be happy when my Maple pile is seasoned next year. If it's free, can't hurt to take a few truckloads. If nothing else, you have a free emergency backup source of wood.

yeah , poplar is similar to the sycamore , although it may be a bit easier to split, burns hot , but burns fast , hardwoods are a world different from poplar , or sycamore , down here we have "paradise trees" highway dept cuts them down along the road and leave them , its a 30 ft weed, peeps pick them up aand take them home to burn , they are like burning paper wads they burn up so fast , but its free and it burns, just dont last. picture a 30 ft cornstalk with a 8 inch base.

mike esw

I’ve split and burned lots of sycamore over the years, As stated it’s heavy, hard to split and burns fairly quickly. When well seasoned it’s very light. I mixed it with other hardwoods with good results. If it’s free wood, I’d take all I could get.

I think it burns good and I don't think it's to hard to split. It's not as tough as ELM

Oh no, it not Sycamore. It sweet gum It used this site http://www.oplin.org/tree/ went fruit and the tree has what we used to call
monkey ball, hard round seed pods with lots of openings.

johnsopi said:
Oh no, it not Sycamore. It sweet gum It used this site http://www.oplin.org/tree/ went fruit and the tree has what we used to call
monkey ball, hard round seed pods with lots of openings.

I haven't burned any Sweet gum personally, but guys I know burn it and like it. They say it can be stringy to split.
I'll find out some day as my MIL has a few big gums on her lot that she wants to get rid of.

Status
Not open for further replies.