Sycamore?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

crazy_dan

Dec 26, 2007
Missouri
well actually the real question is has anybody burned Sycamore? How is it to work with split burn heat etc?
The county just put a bridge in over the creek that used to run over our road. They knocked down about 30-40 trees to get equipment in to build the bridge.
The guy who owns the property told me I could cut the trees up for fire wood. It is a mixed bag some oak, hickory, ash, hedge and a few sycamores. I am going to cut them all up and burn them all. I was just wondering because nobody I know around here has burned it.

I do have a special stack for hedge as it burns hot dam hot. You need to be very careful to not get too much in the stove at one time. I mix it with some junk wood like ash as to not over-fire learned this the hard way. I had an older cast iron Franklin that I had cherry red along with the stove pipe to the damper. The house was about 102 F with a few windows open and it was about 5 F outside. I also mix stuff like cedar and ash pretty evenly in the stack so I do not get too much of that in the house at one time for the opposite reason.

Thanks in advance

I have a bunch of sycamore I'll burn next season, and I just cut a downed sycamore which was still half rooted, so it was green, and it has a high water content. The one that's split up already and drying was a bear to split by hand cuz it was twisted and stuff, the one I just hauled in splits easy as it's straight as an arrow.

Don't know how it burns yet, but I burn anything so I don't care. My guess by looking at it is that it's better than pine but not as good as walnut, and certainly it ain't no hickory or oak.

I also will burn any flavor of seasoned wood.

changed the header so I might get some answers. To burn or not to burn just wasn't doing it

Look up the woods from the link in my sig. Any free wood is good wood, but I'd go for the hedge, hickory and oak in that order - treat yourself! Leave the sycamore there to rot - unless you like moving 1/3 more wood than you have to. I burn almost exclusively hedge - never really known it to burn hotter than any other wood - longer yes, hotter, not too much. I think the hottest fire I've ever had would be a tossup between a pile of 2x4's and a pine wood post that was hollow in the middle.

My Grandparents who live in the Appilachian Mountains of western North Carolina burn alot of Sycamore and have for many years... It is a very good burning wood...

sycamore is a very light loose grained wood, it when green contains a bunch of water , actually usually grows close to springs and other watery areas. is a fast burning wood, relatively low btu content , i wouldnt waste any time harvesting it unless used for short fires during the shoulder seasons , its not a serious burners choice for major heat. i'd burn it if it was given to me , stacked and split. but only if i had nothing else to burn.

Thanks for your replies
I will be cutting up and burning it probably only in the spring and fall when I just need to take the morning chill off (don't like using oak and hickory for that).
The question never was should I cut the sycamore, as the guy who owns the property also owns a lot more property around me and by taking it all it might open some other opportunities.
I just had never burned it and I didn't want to over guesstimate it I knew it was not equivalent to oak but needed to know how far down the scale it was and yes I did check BTU charts but charts are not always right.

I get some on a rare occasion in round form only. Its definitely not a firewood I seek out as it can be difficult [more time consuming ] to split by hand but I would definitely take it if you have a mechanical splitter. It does seem to leave a higher volume of ash when fully consumed.

The way I look at it- It is always nice to have a variety of woods for different weather conditions and of course you don't want to ruin the gravy train.

Status
Not open for further replies.