Sycamore

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ashful

Minister of Fire
Mar 7, 2012
Philadelphia
Brought home about 1/3 cord of Sycamore today. I've never handled this stuff, and haven't taken the maul to it yet. What can you guys tell me about it? Doesn't feel all that heavy... reminds me of Poplar in the round.

if its light like poplar i would guess its pretty dry...sycamore holds a lot of moisture and is usually very heavy..it dries pretty good though...btu wise..i thinks it better than soft maple and just shy of cherry....the big stuff can be a nightmare to split....smaller stuff splits pretty nice..it all splits better when somewhat dry...look in my profile pic thats all sycamore...

Ugg.... I didn't say it, but that's why I was asking. It just LOOKS tough to split! Oh well. I'll be doing it with sledge and wedge, if the maul won't go thru it.

It was downed by a flood two years ago, and lying in a back yard. The weight indicates it's fairly dry.

Burns good, hard to split. But worth the effort, way better than poplar.

Being down for 2 years, it might split pretty good. Please let us know how it goes.

Reactions: ScotO
I take sycamore whenever it comes along. It isn't the best wood but not that bad either. I have found some on it ok to split and some of it as bad as elm<> The splitter really doesn't care though;)

Reactions: ScotO
I take sycamore whenever it comes along. It isn't the best wood but not that bad either. I have found some on it ok to split and some of it as bad as elm<> The splitter really doesn't care though;)
I just build a deer stand in a huge sycamore, I bet the trunks are 4 foot in diameter, those trees can get big. Never burned any though so sorry I can't help with that.

Status
Not open for further replies.