Synthetic boards for re-building cellar window casings?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

pybyr

Minister of Fire
Jun 3, 2008
Adamant, VT 05640
My house dates from about 1830; cellar windows are wood framed with a bunch of glass panels, side by side, in a little sash.

I replaced all the ones along the back side of the house with modern cellar windows- that is the side of the house that gets the severe winter wind, and they're less visible there. But the front side of the house shows more, and the modern ones would really look out of place there.

The "sash" for my cellar windows are in OK shape if I reglaze them. The casings/ wood structures around them are - well,- "decrepit" might be an understatement- an open invitation to wind, rain, rodents, etc.

I was originally thinking of making new casings/ frames for my old sash from something like pressure treated, white cedar, or redwood-

-but, then, recently, got thinking about some of the synthetic trim products like Azek, Kleer, etc.

Anyone ever used any of these "plastic board" materials for such an application? The appeal to me is that it'll be rot-proof, bug-proof, and not ever even need painting.

Open to other suggestions, too!

Thanks!

No specific links to suggest, but my understanding is there are outfits that make "Ye Olde Fashionede Looke" :coolsmirk: windows using modern technology multi-layer coated glass, frame materials, etc.. Might be worth looking into as even if you rebuild the casings and reglaze the old sashes, you are still looking at single pane windows with their low thermal efficiency...

As to using any of the other synthetics, the idea sounds reasonable to me, but it might be worth checking manufacturer data sheets / tech support lines to see if it's an approved application - I know there are gotchas to be aware of such as the synthetics having different thermal expansion properties than "real" wood and issues along those lines, plus things like exposure ratings and all that - It would seem to me that before going with synthetics, it would be important to verify that it's an OK use, and if there are any things that one should do differently when using them instead of wood... (Sealant choices? Fastener types / materials? etc.)

Gooserider

Gooserider said:
No specific links to suggest, but my understanding is there are outfits that make "Ye Olde Fashionede Looke" :coolsmirk: windows using modern technology multi-layer coated glass, frame materials, etc.. Might be worth looking into as even if you rebuild the casings and reglaze the old sashes, you are still looking at single pane windows with their low thermal efficiency...

As to using any of the other synthetics, the idea sounds reasonable to me, but it might be worth checking manufacturer data sheets / tech support lines to see if it's an approved application - I know there are gotchas to be aware of such as the synthetics having different thermal expansion properties than "real" wood and issues along those lines, plus things like exposure ratings and all that - It would seem to me that before going with synthetics, it would be important to verify that it's an OK use, and if there are any things that one should do differently when using them instead of wood... (Sealant choices? Fastener types / materials? etc.)

Gooserider

Thanks, Gooserider, good points all around. I tried to look into the New but Olde-Looking type things some years ago when I'd have actually had a budget for them if I could've found them, but never could find anything that fit the needed size and basic type, despite a lot of Googling, searching, asking, and calling.

Now, post-divorce and other various adventures of life... I merely have the "Ye Olde Fashioned" fiscal situation, as in, I need to do something relatively low priced to keep The Wind out. I actually have 4 casings for 2 windows, so am thinking I could put it all together in a way where I'd have 2 layers of glazing- and actually some good quality acrylic sheet I could use instead of glass (more durable, less thermally conductive) I know that won't be as efficient as true modern windows, but it seems within my means.

The plastic woods will mold, I have a deck and if I leave leaves (tongue twister) on it, it will mold up. I vote green treated and it should last another 50 plus years!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.