T5 burn time and damper issues update

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
oldspark said:
The 700 would be a peak I would hit before I turn on the fan, it wont stay there but I cant even get it there most of the time, there are several people on this forum running their summit at 700 or more. I'm not cause I cant get there.

I know your temp is accurate but it their temp correct or are they relying on an inaccurate gauge? I am starting to wonder about this.. BTW the hot spot on the stovetop on the T-5 is near the exit flue and slightly to the left.. Is the T-6 the same location?

Ray

raybonz said:
oldspark said:
The 700 would be a peak I would hit before I turn on the fan, it wont stay there but I cant even get it there most of the time, there are several people on this forum running their summit at 700 or more. I'm not cause I cant get there.

I know your temp is accurate but it their temp correct or are they relying on an inaccurate gauge? I am starting to wonder about this.. BTW the hot spot on the stovetop on the T-5 is near the exit flue and slightly to the left.. Is the T-6 the same location?

Ray
Yes I believe their temps, and its not just the Summits, many others report spikes up to 700 to 800, I believe pen said he hit 850 on his 30, the hot spot on the summits is near the exit flue on the right, that is where the other summit owners put theirs also.

oldspark said:

Bingo, leave the blower off and try it. I usually use the blower to bring the temps down when they hit 700F or higher. But most of the time we run the stove with the blower off.

Also, what is your air control set to? Can you close it to the stop and leave it burning there?

BeGreen said:
oldspark said:

Bingo, leave the blower off and try it. I usually use the blower to bring the temps down when they hit 700F or higher. But most of the time we run the stove with the blower off.

Also, what is your air control set to? Can you close it to the stop and leave it burning there?

OK so this gets the stove to 700 degrees but the reality is you're just concentrating the heat rather than extracting it with the blower.. This isn't going to give you more BTU's just keeps the area near the stove hotter.. I can't see where we're going with this..

Ray

BeGreen said:
oldspark said:

I do leave the blower off when trying to hit 700, maybe I was not clear on that, yea I can close the air all the way on some loads (could with the old chimney too) but not every single time, depends on the wood type and weather conditions, I turn it way down over night.

raybonz said:
BeGreen said:
oldspark said:

OK so this gets the stove to 700 degrees but the reality is you're just concentrating the heat rather than extracting it with the blower.. This isn't going to give you more BTU's just keeps the area near the stove hotter.. I can't see where we're going with this..

Ray
Not sure I am, most people with good draws hit 700 and beyond and have trouble whoaing it down, I can not hit 700 period, just once in a while, not sure why you think I am trying to hit a temp that is hard to do, been reading posts for almost 2 years about it. Have you seen how much more heat a stove put out at 700 vs 600, it's a ton.

BG are your flue temps with a probe, cause if they are I am running a way hotter flue than you.

Yes, the 3-19 is the old style Condar probe (black face). Do you have the new style Condar?

oldspark said:
raybonz said:
BeGreen said:
oldspark said:

Ray
Not sure I am, most people with good draws hit 700 and beyond and have trouble whoaing it down, I can not hit 700 period, just once in a while, not sure why you think I am trying to hit a temp that is hard to do, been reading posts for almost 2 years about it. Have you seen how much more heat a stove put out at 700 vs 600, it's a ton.

Leave the blower off after a full reload. It should pass 650F pretty easily as long as it is in full secondary combustion.

BeGreen said:
Yes, the 3-19 is the old style Condar probe (black face). Do you have the new style Condar?
I am double checking mine with a IR testor and my surface tems almost matches your probe, not good.

"Leave the blower off after a full reload. It should pass 650F pretty easily as long as it is in full secondary combustion."
I am-it dont.

oldspark said:
BeGreen said:
I am double checking mine with a IR testor and my surface tems almost matches your probe, not good.

Do you have the new style Condar?

oldspark said:
...I had 725 surface (checked with a IR a week or so ago, did not like it. ...

Not sure I am, most people with good draws hit 700 and beyond and have trouble whoaing it down, I can not hit 700 period

I am-it dont.

Spark, WTF are you babbling about?

madison said:
oldspark said:
...I had 725 surface (checked with a IR a week or so ago, did not like it. ...

Not sure I am, most people with good draws hit 700 and beyond and have trouble whoaing it down, I can not hit 700 period

I am-it dont.

Spark, WTF are you babbling about?
You cant just jump in and out and expect to understand this, you have to be here for the full ride. :cheese: That was my SURFACE FLUE which was stated in that post if I remember correctly.
I am-it dont answered BG post.

BeGreen said:
oldspark said:
BeGreen said:

Do you have the new style Condar?
No-but my IR testor tell me the condar thermometer is within 50 degrees but I am using the IR TEMPS. Dont trust the fricking temp gauges.

I am done, I am answering questions that are in this thread pages ago, its a circle of death. Merry Christmas

Just reviewed the thread didn't find the answer there either. Closing this thread, it's been hijacked badly enough, by yet another grumble.

Status
Not open for further replies.