Ta Da! Garn 1500 installation complete

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rvtgr8

The system is in and my controls are in and will definitely do what I want them to do. Thanks Gooserider for the helpful hints and to Nofo for being so clear about relays. The system is filled and nothing leaks so I have put away my scuba gear and am ready to do a first burn. But first, I have a couple of questions. Have I screwed up by not treating the water yet? Okay, stop laughing... seriously, there are bubbles coming out of your nose. My thought behind all of this was that I wanted to leak test every thing. The fittings and pipes are tight and I was going to flush it out, but I hated to waste the water without doing a burn and bringing it up to temp. The water is a little murky, after running the pumps, but I can still see the bottom of the tank clearly. I have the treatment that came with the unit, but decided to ask for opinions first. I have waited this long, and the weather is frickin' balmy. Let me know if I need to start over from scratch so I can call a realtor and sell the place.

Robert :gulp:

Going through a couple test firings is the right idea.
Nothing will corrode over a short period of time.

Make sure it works okay and then put the treatment in.

We have done it where we put the treatment in and then either had to scrounge up a big temporary tank or just dump the treatment
to drain a tank to fix something. Dooh!

Congrats Robert! It must be nice to see the finish of this project. I agree it was smart to test the system before putting in the treatment. It will be fine without it while you get all the wrinkles out of the system. Best to leave it out until you are certain you won't need to drain it.

rvtgr8 said:
The system is in and my controls are in and will definitely do what I want them to do. Thanks Gooserider for the helpful hints and to Nofo for being so clear about relays. The system is filled and nothing leaks so I have put away my scuba gear and am ready to do a first burn. But first, I have a couple of questions. Have I screwed up by not treating the water yet? Okay, stop laughing... seriously, there are bubbles coming out of your nose. My thought behind all of this was that I wanted to leak test every thing. The fittings and pipes are tight and I was going to flush it out, but I hated to waste the water without doing a burn and bringing it up to temp. The water is a little murky, after running the pumps, but I can still see the bottom of the tank clearly. I have the treatment that came with the unit, but decided to ask for opinions first. I have waited this long, and the weather is frickin' balmy. Let me know if I need to start over from scratch so I can call a realtor and sell the place.

Robert :gulp:

So can you describe your property and what are you looking to get for it ?

Just kidding hey great job give it a test run .

Webie

Congratulations Robert, you deserve a pat on the back!

Your approach without treated water makes sense to me, I would hate to dump the chemical to do repairs.
Did I hear someone talk about a cleaner to use initially for the first burn to remove flux, dirt, etc.?

I am currently doing firewood and Spring chores before resuming plumbing. I wish I was as far along as you are, but hope to be heating domestic hot water this summer.

Good job Robert. Glad to hear your up and about and ready to fire that beast. Hopefully you healed up good and I can't wait for the photos.

Thanks for all of the kind words. I am certainly glad to hear that my test burn idea was not a huge mistake. My arm is about 95% and the Doc tells me I will get it all back eventually. Its a good thing because I have one helluva pile of dried wood to put up and store. My list, the one that comes from command central, has grown epic in proportion this winter as a result of my injury. The wife had me put a 1926 diesel furnace in one of our small greenhouses. I pretty much had to rebuild the whole thing and it turned out to be a pretty cool old stove. It is a brown ceramic job and I was getting my walking instructions from an old neighbor of mine who used to have one like growing up in Alberta, Canada. I test burned it yesterday at sundown when the temp started dropping. I got a phone call and by the time I got back, the greenhouse was at 132 °F and climbing. I did not realize that the rod on the tank was a shut off and I had her open full up. Needless to say, this incident has inspired my wife to accelerate my plans for underground lines from the Garn to the greenhouse by a full year. :sick: I guess it could have been worse.

Robert

Good to hear yer healing. Funny how the wife giving you a list of things to do will get you better and out of the house ;-)

Also good news on the wood-fired submarine . . . though I can't intelligently opine on the merits of test firing without treatment.

I hope to put in a {more}permanent greenhouse here, at which point I am going to need a different wood-boiler myself. Keep us posted on that project.

Congrats Robert!! Glad you got-r-done.

I can't remember the details but check your manual. There is a pre-clean additive(dry powder) that you put in and run your pumps while up to temp for a couple of days before draining it all out. After it's all cleaned and leak tested and flushed and hugged and kissed, THEN you re-fill with the big 5 gallon jug of liquid stuff that came with the unit. Maybe you got the pre-clean stuff with your unit. I did not. Had to order it.

Good things come to those who work their a$$e$ off day and night and never quit.

Way to go Robert. Persistence always pays off.!!

Garn actually recommends filling, bringing the unit up to temp for at least a day or two and letting it circulate with some boiler cleaner in it, then draining, refilling and adding the water treatment. doing so will get rid of threading oil, pipe dope, soldering flux and other crap that will come lose once up to temp. The heat helps.
Doing this will really help the actual water treatment to do its job as a bunch of unwanted chemicals floating around will degrade its performance.

If you don't use the precleaner Garn sells make sure you use a non-foaming type cleaner meant for boilers or regular TSP if you can find it. That will also help stabilize the PH of your water and get it where it needs to be.

Enjoy my man!!! You have the wood burner I consider to be one of the best and easiest to use on the market today. It will outlast you if you give it decent care and feeding. :)

Would the water drained be considerd toxic

Excellent news Robert! I was wondering how you were healing up and if you were able to make progress. You'll be all set for the coming winter.

Be careful with that old oil burner! Sounds interesting - would love to see pics.

Kemer said:
Would the water drained be considerd toxic

Not if the appropriate product were used. Most consumer level products except acid based cleaners are bio-degradable these days. Pro grade stuff is a different story. The pre-cleaner sold by garn is considered safe for above ground disposal but not something one would put in a glass and drink. As with all chemicals used in this manner, read the label at the very least or better yet snag a copy of the MSDS and see what it says.

Congrats, Robert! I was wondering how things were going for you. I am looking at a small greenhouse myself, and of course want to heat it from my system. I often think now that I should have gotten a Garn.

Have fun with that honey-do list!

Status
Not open for further replies.