Taco IFC Removal??

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

tho2nd

Jan 15, 2018
Maine
Hello all, been away from the forum for a few years and had to re-register under a new user name (old user name was "strmh") because I can't get into the email account I originally used....anywho....

I have a variable speed Taco 0010 with IFC......the pump will intermittently stop pumping and I'd like to try removing the IFC to see if that helps.

Is there any real issues with removing the flow check other than the obvious chance of reverse flow?

I didn't see any discussion on this, so apologies if I didn't search correctly.

Thanks,

TH

Hmmm, I doubt that .35 psi check could hold back the circulator. Unless something is lodged in it? I'd look at what ever is controlling the variable speed of it. Do you check for voltage at the circulator when it stops flowing?

The check prevents reverse flow as you mentioned, but is can also used to prevent ghost flow. If piping rises up above a circ pump you can sometimes get thermosiphoning, hot water rising, cold dropping. This can cause a zone to over-heat or run up a fuel bill.

I have had them stop pumping because air moving thru the system has collected in the pump volute while the pump is off. removing the check helped that. I added a flow check elsewhere in the loop, which lets the volute stay full of water, and the air collect somewhere else. the pump will then move the air thru the system to be collected by the air scoop.

No issue with removing it, they sold pumps for years without them. It just saves putting a dedicated flow check in the line.

Sounds like the bottom line is - removing it may or may not solve the problem, and removing it may or may not require adding a flow check somewhere else. :)

I will add - if you do remove it, you might not be able to un-remove it. By the time I got the IFC out of my Grundfos one time, it was severely gibbled.

Those integral checks are not in an ideal location. One rule of thumb is the check should be 6 pipe diameters away from the circulator discharge. So a separate check, spring type, with a soft seat and no more than a 1/2 psi pop is another method. Don't use a swing check after a circulator.

I suppose those IFC do solve more problems then they cause?

Thanks for all the input. I had a couple symptoms that led me to the pump. The problem ended up being my aqua stat.

I was getting intermittent flow and tapping on the pump restarted the flow.

What took me a little while to figure out was that tapping the pump was actually vibrating aqua stat enough cause it to close the connection and energize the pump.

Jumpered the aquastat and everything seems to be back on track. New one in order.

Thanks

Good catch, whacking things usually arent the solution to a root cause but it makes one feel good ;)

Those integral checks are not in an ideal location. One rule of thumb is the check should be 6 pipe diameters away from the circulator discharge. So a separate check, spring type, with a soft seat and no more than a 1/2 psi pop is another method. Don't use a swing check after a circulator.

I suppose those IFC do solve more problems then they cause?

yes I think so. they save a lot of hassle usually. extra flow checks add to system cost and system head especially if they're the old weight style. I do most of my zoning with valves (zone valves or TRV's) so I usually remove them but they probably keep lots of installers and customers from having ghost flow that they'll never know about.

I can count on one hand the number of times I've had a problem that I can trace back to a flow check.