Taking the Plunge, Englander 13 or Napoleon 2200?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Serrinon

Jul 26, 2010
Vermont
Hey Everyone,

So I've decided to take the plunge, and while I was very tempted to go with Woodstock or Jotul, I've decided to be financially responsible and stick with the more budget models (not fun I know, but my brain beat out my gut on this one). If things go well and I enjoy the stove I can upgrade in the future and put this one in the basement where the previous owner left me a rather ugly looking old stove.

It looks to me like the Englander 13 or the Napoleon 2200 would both be good fits for my ranch style home that is well insulated and less than 1,200 sq feet. Just wanted to see if you guys thought that one of these two stoves was clearly better than the other.

Thank you all for your help!
Dana

I would consider them similar in quality. It appears that you would want to choose between excellent phone/email customer service from Englander or finding a good local Napoleon dealer who would provide you with excellent face to face service (Napoleon, Drolet, Enerzone all the same steel box stoves more or less)

I have never looked at the Nappy 2200 before. Not sure about the steel gauge, but it is a light stove next to say the PE Super27. To its advantage the 2200 [del]appears to use firebrick for the upper baffle and[/del] has very low hearth insulation requirements. The Englander 13NC needs a substantial R 2.0 hearth. But we do have several happy 13NC owners on board here. What's the price on the Timberwolf?

Edit: Baffle is fibre, not firebrick.

Beauty is only skin deep . . . at the end of the day it doesn't matter whether a stove is made out of steel, cast iron or soapstone . . . and it doesn't matter how much it costs . . . and it doesn't matter even if it's an ugly duckling of a stove (i.e. the Blaze King ;) ) or a real beauty . . . the truth is the one thing we all have in common here is what we want our stove to do is keep us warm . . . and do so safely. I think either of the choices you mentioned will be good.

There's another thread showing the Englander 30 for $980 shipped from www.overstockstoves.com. Looks like the 13 is $710 from them, but I think I've seen ~ $600 @ Lowe's. After the 30% credit, the 30 would cost only $200-250 more for a lot more stove, maybe too much stove though. . .The mfr of Napoleon also makes Drolet? See www.northerntool.com for good prices on Drolet.

Drolet is made by SBI, Wolf makes Napoleon. A Drolet or Osburn 2 cu ft stove would also work, but I would not go up to the big 30NC for a 1200 sq ft well insulated house. If Drolet, be sure it is one of their EPA versions. I would also consider the PE Super27. It has an enclosed baffle system and long burn times.

BeGreen said:
I have never looked at the Nappy 2200 before. Not sure about the steel gauge, but it is a light stove next to say the PE Super27. To its advantage the 2200 [del]appears to use firebrick for the upper baffle and[/del] has very low hearth insulation requirements. The Englander 13NC needs a substantial R 2.0 hearth. But we do have several happy 13NC owners on board here. What's the price on the Timberwolf?

The Napoleon 2200 looks like it can be purchased for around 750, which appears to be around the same price as the Englander.

I haven't started researching hearths yet, when you say R 2.0 what exactly does that mean. I tried to google an R 2.0 hearth to try and see one, but none came up.

Serrinon said:
BeGreen said:

The Napoleon 2200 looks like it can be purchased for around 750, which appears to be around the same price as the Englander.

I haven't started researching hearths yet, when you say R 2.0 what exactly does that mean. I tried to google an R 2.0 hearth to try and see one, but none came up.

R refers to the insulative property of the hearth . . . not a specific type of hearth . . . so you will most likely not get any pictures of a hearth specific to 2.0. You can achieve the hearth's required insulative properties through several means -- using air space, metal studs, Durock and other materials.

I don't know anything about the 2200 but I did purchase an Englander 13 in January of 2010. I paid 550 +tx. Lowes price matched a Farm and Fleet ad someone here posted in IL. IL is a few stated away but Lowes customer service said they (Lowes) are a national company and will match any retail ad other than close outs, damaged and internet only.

As far as the 13 goes I love it. The customer service you will receive is second to none. I purchased the heat shields and the blower also at different times. Having a ranch (which I do about 2000sqft) it's much harder to move the heat laterally than vertically and the blower made a huge difference for me. It's not whisper quiet but on the low setting there is plenty of air movement.

I had always liked the appearance of cast stoves better until I really went and looked at the steel stoves and it's performance/price ratio. Now my steel stove is great looking in my eyes and I couldn't be happier.

Serrinon said:
BeGreen said:

Google shmoogle :p , try searching using the Search Forums option to the above left. Search on 13NC hearth for lots of threads on this topic.

Here are a couple starters:
https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/42755/
https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/32255/

Status
Not open for further replies.