Talk me into or out of moving back to Upstate NY!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

fire_man

Minister of Fire
Feb 6, 2009
North Eastern MA
I lived in Rochester for 5 years and Albany for 6 years in the 80's and 90's and loved every minute. Relaxed life style, low cost of living, easy driving and lots to do surrounded by beautiful country and 4 great seasons. And I like the cold! But the jobs for Engineers were Awful.

I moved to Boston in 1997 to present for a great job but I hate living in the Boston area because I'm sick of the crowds, horrible traffic and endless wall to wall cities with little rural space. Now I'm retired and want to go BACK to Upstate NY. The only disadvantage I see is the horrendous property taxes. The income and Sales taxes are a bit higher than MA but not terribly. Housing costs in Upstate NY look to be about half for the same type house and land area.

Anybody out there living in Upstate NY with an opinion? I know there are other areas but I like living near cities with populations of 100K-200K for the numerous conveniences but they have to be surrounded by lots of rural space that's friendly to woodburners and NOT near any Megalopolis.

Oh yea, the other things I don't like about Boston is they have no idea how to make a proper Italian Sub, Buffalo Chicken Wing or Pizza!

Last edited:
IMO, get out of the city. I'm not a big city person, I like to visit them, but not live there. I like being close to nature and having the option to take day trips away from civilization. Quite frankly I'm not sure how many of you do it living so close to so many big cities, maybe I'd get used to it if I had to. I live in a city of 75,000, and that's plenty big for me, with the nearest city a 4.5hr drive away.

If you really want to get away there's lots of room in Canada, especially out west, but then I really hope you like the cold.

I'm not sure how many of you do it living so close to so many big cities
I ask myself this same question almost every day.
I I live in a city of 75,000, and that's plenty big for me, with the nearest city a 4.5hr drive away.
I think the sweet spot for the right population size is maybe 75K on the low side to 200K on the high side. Too low and you lose convenience to stuff you need and have to drive far. Too big and it's too crowded.

I like the idea of being really far away from a big city (4.5 hrs is great) - that way there is much less influence from that big city. What sense is it for me to move to Keene NH which is a nice small city if that's only 45 miles from Nashua which is really just a suburb of Boston.

Last edited:
Reactions: ABMax24
I'd say to find a state without income taxes (save 401k paying less taxes, withdraw from it paying no state taxes).
In the north east, New Hampshire only levies taxes over interest, not income.
Saves you a decent percentage right off the bat.

We are considering NH. Southern NH is like a giant suburb of Boston. Central NH might be intriguing - but somehow I get the feeling Boston will always be the hub of anywhere in New England and I want OUT from this hub.

I live in rural upstate. I love where I am but dislike NY. The politics flat out suck. Geographically gorgeous with the many lakes and mountains. Some other options are VT, NH, and ME. All beautiful lands and have there share of cold.

I keep hearing how Toxic are the politics in NY. I'm not sure how that affects day to day life but it is a valid point.

Reactions: all night moe
I live up in Northern NH but I can be at the ocean in about 2 hours or up in an area of undeveloped lakes in about 45 minutes or at a trailhead to my favorite mountains in about 5 minutes. N income or sales tax but property taxes can be steep if you pick the wrong town. If you are an ATV person there is the biggest ATV network in the Northeast nearby, in some towns you can ride right from your house.

Reactions: all night moe
Leaving the Boston area? Sounds good to me.

I think I have a disease I'm calling FOBC!

FOBC
Fear of Big Cities !!!
I AGREE! our little borough holds roughly 3,500 people and it's too big for me. I'd really prefer to move a bit further out in the
country; but not too far from our grown kiddos.

Wow 3500 and it's too big! I would not be happy in a place where I need to drive 20 miles every time I need something at the big hardware stores or for weekly shopping. I also appreciate having good access to cell service, internet and over the air TV.

There is definitley a sweet spot for me, not being to close to a big city, having nice rural surroundings but still being close to major conveniences.

You could look at northern pa also. The Poconos aren't far from cities but offer fairly low property taxes. Then there is central and north west pa where it's really cheap but not very close to much of anything.

We actually are considering parts of PA.

From what I have heard about PA, you are either in a big city or out in pure rural country. Upstate NY intrigues me because it offers the conveniences of mid size cities without being overwhelming and has rural characteristics all around.

We actually are considering parts of PA.

From what I have heard about PA, you are either in a big city or out in pure rural country. Upstate NY intrigues me because it offers the conveniences of mid size cities without being overwhelming and has rural characteristics all around.
Not really we have Williamsport Harrisburg Scranton that are small cities. And lots of medium sized towns.

I do like upstate NY we have friends with a place near buffalo and spend a fair amount of time there. But the property taxes certainly are high.

I live in rural upstate. I love where I am but dislike NY. The politics flat out suck. Geographically gorgeous with the many lakes and mountains. Some other options are VT, NH, and ME. All beautiful lands and have there share of cold.
Maine is full.

Trees. So it's quite inviting for us here ...

Reactions: Bad LP
Take a look at overall tax burden per state

Overall Rank (1=Highest)StateTotal Tax Burden
(%)
Property Tax Burden
(%)
Individual Income Tax Burden
(%)
Total Sales & Excise Tax Burden
(%)

1New York12.79%4.40%
(6)
4.96%
(1)
3.43%
(22)
2Hawaii12.19%2.45%
(35)
3.09%
(10)
6.65%
(1)
3Vermont10.75%5.04%
(2)
2.41%
(22)
3.30%
(26)
4Maine10.50%4.60%
(4)
2.45%
(21)
3.45%
(20

And way down there

46New Hampshire6.84%5.47%
(1)
0.13%
(42)
1.24%
(48)

Notice a trend?

Property tax varies significantly in NH, pick the right town and taxes can vary significiantly. There are a few unorganized townships that have no property taxes (there is a commercial timber tax that pays them).

Take a look at overall tax burden per state

Overall Rank (1=Highest)StateTotal Tax Burden
(%)
Property Tax Burden
(%)
Individual Income Tax Burden
(%)
Total Sales & Excise Tax Burden
(%)

1New York12.79%4.40%
(6)
4.96%
(1)
3.43%
(22)
2Hawaii12.19%2.45%
(35)
3.09%
(10)
6.65%
(1)
3Vermont10.75%5.04%
(2)
2.41%
(22)
3.30%
(26)
4Maine10.50%4.60%
(4)
2.45%
(21)
3.45%
(20

And way down there

46New Hampshire6.84%5.47%
(1)
0.13%
(42)
1.24%
(48)

Notice a trend?

Property tax varies significantly in NH, pick the right town and taxes can vary significiantly. There are a few unorganized townships that have no property taxes (there is a commercial timber tax that pays them).

Like NH local taxes vary a great deal. If there were less people getting easy hand outs the state tax would be a bit more palatable but I can’t control that by myself.