Talking dealer down on chimney pipe prices?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

chufi

Sep 29, 2016
So we are looking at getting a small woodstove installed (Striker 160) and need a through the wall installation and then up 2 stories. The dealer we are talking to (warming trends in santa rosa, good reviews, actually know what they are talking about when talking to them) gave us a really high price for the install. Install cost of 1500 (which I am sort of ok with because it is a tricky area to work on as the house is on a slope) but then the cost of the external chimney (Hart and Cooley Stainless) is huge at 2120. They listed all the part numbers on the quote and I can order that stuff online for ~$1270 Currently thinking that is crazy for them to mark it up so much and want to talk them down to at least what my retail cost is since presumably they get it all for below that. Is my thinking reasonable on that or are there other things going on which would justify the high price for the parts?

Apples vs oranges, but my hearth and piping together were $2,000.
This is on a $300 stove lol. Codes and quality MUST be met.

Are they willing to install stuff you bought yourself?

Currently thinking that is crazy for them to mark it up so much and want to talk them down to at least what my retail cost is since presumably they get it all for below that.
I would not count on that. I have seen online pricing lower than my cost before. But $2120 sounds high for hart & cooley. You could try to negotiate some but I doubt it will work I know it will not with us.

This is now peak season. Dealers and installers are booked, sometimes months out. There is little need to negotiate right now.

Also consider how fast you want them to call you back if you have an issue down the road.

Ok fair points, I'm not trying to do something that isn't reasonable it just seemed quite high and in my business area putting costs for parts that were not our cost would be very frowned on (but realize that is common practice in many areas.) Maybe we should just wait until spring and try again.

Is it Hart and Cooley TLC? Are you sure that your online comparison in fact the same line of chimney? TLC is high quality pipe, much nicer than the big box store stuff.

Ok fair points, I'm not trying to do something that isn't reasonable it just seemed quite high and in my business area putting costs for parts that were not our cost would be very frowned on (but realize that is common practice in many areas.) Maybe we should just wait until spring and try again.
There's dealer cost for parts and then there's retail price. Selling parts at retail is common practice all over the globe to the best of my knowledge. Every store does this, some get it cheaper and sell full retail, some just sell with tiny margins and make it up in volume. It can't hurt to ask for a discount if you book the job. 10% isn't uncommon.

Is it Hart and Cooley TLC? Are you sure that your online comparison in fact the same line of chimney? TLC is high quality pipe, much nicer than the big box store stuff.

Yeah I am looking at TLC, I had the dealers exact part numbers so easy to look up. Still more expensive than the big box stores just not as high as the quote.

Is the heavy markup on parts just they way it is with the hearth stores and on rare occasion someone needs a sale for whatever reason and you get a more competitive price?

I normally am a DIY person and this doesn't seem too hard to install, but when doing something dangerous (fire) I would rather have the professionals with the good reputation do it. Probably part of my problem with sticker shock.

High parts are common. Keep in mind that if you ever have an issue, such as a fire, the hearth store is in the hook for it. They can't stand behind it from here on out and not be making money on it. Labor alone is not enough to carry all the liability.

Reactions: bholler
Status
Not open for further replies.