Tapered Firebox on Lopi Freedom

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

heydan

Hearth Supporter
I see the Lopi Freedom Insert has a tapered firebox. It's wider in front and narrows as it goes back, just like many fireplaces it has to fit into. This allows it to have a large 2.9 cubic foot firebox which can accommodate long 24" logs in the front but still only need the fireplace to be 21.25" wide in the back. I really like this feature because I think the larger firebox means I can load it up with more wood and the large width in front means I can fit those odd-sized longer pieces you sometimes get but the tapering allows it to fit into my medium sized fireplace.

Are there any other inserts you can think of that also use a tapered firebox?

Lots of them- especially units specifically designed as inserts....examples:
Country Flame
Buck
Energy King
and probably many more.

Back in the old days, tapered fireboxes were more the rule than the exception. Only when stoves started being designed for freestanding...and then the same units used for inserts - did that seem to change.

Status
Not open for further replies.