Tapping the Strategic Hedge Reserve

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cutter

Feb 20, 2009
Tecumseh Kansas
Well the corn is still in the fields and I can't get to my c/s/s/ or to cut down additional wood so I have tapped an unexplored reserve. On the East end of our property there is a gully that has had hedge and other trees bulldozed into it. This was over forty years ago when the road was put in. All of the other trees,oak, walnut ect. have long sense rotted and gone bye bye. The old hedge is all that s left, good for use. After cutting on Sunday and loading a full truckload of small stuff for a buddy I went back today to get the biggys. Split up and stacked I have a little over a cord. Plus a pile of the as someone here refered to as mongruls. Now the best part of the story is that it is all measuring 7% moisture. All of what I generally cut and burns goes 14%-16% after 12-16 months.It is still really sound wood no bark and only a few ants. It looks like there is another 2 cords at least there and then there is another smaller pile on the place that is just a little harder to get at. I should leave this wood for when I am older and more decrepit but damn it is easy pickens.
Brad

hedge001-1.jpg

hedge002-1.jpg

hedge005-1.jpg

hedge003-1.jpg

hedge004-1.jpg

hedge006-1.jpg

Cutter said:
Well the corn is still in the fields and I can't get to my c/s/s/ or to cut down additional wood so I have tapped an unexplored reserve. On the East end of our property there is a gully that has had hedge and other trees bulldozed into it. This was over forty years ago when the road was put in. All of the other trees,oak, walnut ect. have long sense rotted and gone bye bye. The old hedge is all that s left, good for use. After cutting on Sunday and loading a full truckload of small stuff for a buddy I went back today to get the biggys. Split up and stacked I have a little over a cord. Plus a pile of the as someone here refered to as mongruls. Now the best part of the story is that it is all measuring 7% moisture. All of what I generally cut and burns goes 14%-16% after 12-16 months.It is still really sound wood no bark and only a few ants. It looks like there is another 2 cords at least there and then there is another smaller pile on the place that is just a little harder to get at. I should leave this wood for when I am older and more decrepit but damn it is easy pickens.
Brad

hedge001-1.gif

hedge002-1.gif

hedge005-1.gif

hedge003-1.gif

hedge004-1.gif

hedge006-1.gif

Real nice haul of top shelf ready to burn firewood! I couldn't sleep if I knew that was just sitting there.. Recycling at its' best!

Enjoy,
Ray

Very nice haul! Looks so dry and seasoned I'm worried that it's going to catch on fire just sitting outside in the sun.

Damn, good score. I believe this is a first, score,cut and burn all in one season. Get all you can now and let it sit in your yard another 40 years if need be.

Hey way to go Cutter...looks like a lot of the dead wood I burn but have no experience with hedge. Heard it's way up there in with a nuclear pile in BTU's...incredible it's still good after 40 years.

Excellent haul Cutter. Did you get any sparks when cutting the smaller diameter limbs? I've seen sparks when cutting hedge thats been down awhile, but it might have been from the dirt and small rock particles imbedded in the bark. Just wondering since you mentioned yours was bark free.

onedog

Looks ready to burn sweet had some last year that on some peices was a little punky on the out side.Still great stuff

Actually, Onedog, this stuff cut much better that the fresher stuff I normally deal with. No sparks. No sticky sap to clog up everything from bars to clothes. What I did find were three crotches that the splitter could not handle. At least not throught the crotch itself. I did notice that my face was blackend from the dust on the exterior. It is finally cold enough to have a burn going this AM. I am burning up the smaller stumps and grinnin.

Cutter said:
Actually, Onedog, this stuff cut much better that the fresher stuff I normally deal with. No sparks. No sticky sap to clog up everything from bars to clothes. What I did find were three crotches that the splitter could not handle. At least not throught the crotch itself. I did notice that my face was blackend from the dust on the exterior. It is finally cold enough to have a burn going this AM. I am burning up the smaller stumps and grinnin.
The big grin starts in Jan. whens its 0 out and the winds gusting at 30+

Status
Not open for further replies.