Tarm chimney pipe help

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Birdman

May 21, 2008
NH
I am so close to install day. One more issue to look at. My plumber has come up and looked at everything... he has decided on a placement for said Tarm 40. It will be about 10 feet from the SS manufactured chimney. My question is.. in the Tarm manual it says to only use 2 90's with 4 feet of pipe to connect it. Does this mean if I use 2 90's and the distance between the 90's is 10 feet that I will have problems? I could turn it so that I use only 1 90 instead. Would this be better? Help..

if you are talking about 10 feet of horizontal chimney pipe before you head up, I think you will be advised to move the tarm closer to the chimney if it is at all possible. Any reason the tarm can't be closer to the chimney?

How about if it is a slight angle up? The flue comes through the cellar wall in the corner of the room. directly below it is the water heater. Across from the water heater are 2 oil tanks( about 4 feet away. I really don't want to get into moving everything unless i absolutely had to.

Birdman said:
How about if it is a slight angle up? The flue comes through the cellar wall in the corner of the room. directly below it is the water heater. Across from the water heater are 2 oil tanks( about 4 feet away. I really don't want to get into moving everything unless i absolutely had to.

You have to have a slight pitch, regardless of the length.

For a long run, look at insulated pipe. Double-wall stainless, or the full-on insulated stainless, like your chimney is made of.

Joe

I called Tarm( or Bioheat USA ) and talked to a very knowledgable person there. He talked me out of the idea of having it 10 feet away. The more I thought about it... the more I decided I did not want ot risk the issue of not having a good enough draw for the chimney. Therefore... I had to move the 2 oil tanks and I am having the plumber move the hot water heater. Dad had all his stuff to work with black pipe. Hand threader etc. This will allow me to place the Tarm nice and close to the chimney. My next issue is where to place the hot water heater and where my future storage tanks will go. oh and where to stack the 5-7 cord of wood ( all in basement )... and of course.. leave room for all the other (&^^%&8;stuff I have collected. the wife says I need to build a garage. I love it when she reads my mind... that will have to be next project. Currently awaiting my plumber to come install.

Good decision, in my opinion. You want the tarm to run properly for the next 20 or 30 years. Might as well bite the bullet and do it right the first time.

Status
Not open for further replies.