Tarm Second Year: Sizing turbulators

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Birdman

May 21, 2008
NH
Tarm 40 solo plus. Second year. It is getting cold around here at night... 30's and maybe 20's tonight. My goal is to install turbulators. I have some old 3/8 chain... what length should I use? How much of a difference will it make if the chain is 20 inches?, 30 inches? or even 10 inches? If it is over 29 inches... ( length of tubes) will this have any adverse effect on the Tarm? I did the search and I like the idea of welding 4 together at the top... to make it easier to take out. Any other good tips?

Birdman,
I did as you are planning, only my chain was 1/2" link. Mine are as long as the tube, 29-30". To hold them in place, I took a piece of mild steel 1/2" round stock about 6" long and welded this to the top of the upper-most link on each. This is long enough so that it would be pretty hard to get the chain to accidently fall down through the tubes. For cleaning, I grab them one at a time and drop them into a 5 gal. plastic pail. Just doing this is usually enough to knock off any accumulated ash. Next time I clean I'll try to remember to take a picture. They've had the desired effect; my flue temps dropped about 100 deg.

I did the search and I like the idea of welding 4 together at the top… to make it easier to take out.

I have the 1/2" barn cleaner chain turbulators. These would be much too heavy to try to lift several out at one time. My chains are long enough so as not to hang below the bottom of the hx tubes.

Status
Not open for further replies.